New Class

RichV
SBE Team
SBE Team
Posts: 1974
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:24 am

New Class

Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:10 pm

Let's change it up a bit. Instead of talking about how we'd like existing classes tweaked, what if we could add a brand new profession to the game (new content). What kind of profession would you like to see? What kind of role would you like it to fill? What powers or skills should it have?
Balice
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 am

Re: New Class

Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:06 pm

I'd love the new class that doesn't lag. Just can't think of a name for it.
Image
Rewen
SBE Team
SBE Team
Location: Madison, WI
Twitch: rewenx
Posts: 4205
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: New Class

Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:40 pm

A trope I've liked from other RPGs is the Alchemist/Tinkerer sort of archetype. I am sure there are a lot of ways to make that work.

For instance, they could receive double benefit from things like HP/Mana/Stamina pots.
They could get self-buffs (potions) which are better than the priest 60's but only last one battle.
You'd want to limit their access to powerful potions by making them expensive in mana, and maybe even split the cost with stamina.
The advantage they have is that they can wear heavier armor than mages, but still get access to some of the defining mage abailites.
Their top-shelf abilities would be "mutagens", or transformation spells that temporarily give them an alternate playstyle (think Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde).
killrsx
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 9:53 am

Re: New Class

Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:29 pm

How about an Oracle/Prophet healer class, kinda like a good version of a doomsayer

-see invisible
-track
-group health transfer/heal
-"chains of fate" friendly aoe which increases health of party based on size of effected party
-Group dispel debuff
-snare
-root

-lighting dot + mana damage
Zergs
Icy Troll
Icy Troll
Posts: 799
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:06 am

Re: New Class

Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:19 pm

If this is not just brain masturbation and you actually have the means of achieving this, I'd suggest you start from things we already have in game and expand upon it. No need to overthink it just mix things up a bit. For example:

Beastmaster:
Gets a focus line that unlocks grandmaster versions of all wereforms. Maybe give them ability to switch between them more easily since it's their main mechanic. Pull some of the ranger/druid skills to support nature theme.

An Actual Stormlord:
Heavy Sheld/Hammer fighter. Like previous GM all Stormlord disc skills, profession specific weapon power that deals lightning and exposes massively, ranged Lightning nuke, templar's power/spell buff, fury flight, fury lightning aoe.

Holy mage:
Basically a NS with some changes. Maybe give it persistent holy aoe that needs to be channeled

Holy or Arcane archer:
Healer or mage based archers

Mage warrior
Well the name speaks for itself


The overthinking part (GW2 Mesmer):
I've never seen more unique class in any game than gw2 Mesmer. It's probably not possible to reproduce something like that in SB but if I could chose this would be on top of my list. For those that don't know what the class is about: youre making clones of yourself which you can send to your opponent to detonate them for direct/DoT/stun or give yourself short duration invuln.
Zergs
Icy Troll
Icy Troll
Posts: 799
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:06 am

Re: New Class

Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:23 am

Here's another that could thematically be interesting. Also pun rich environment! :D

Fighter or Healer based caster
Geomancer (Multiple Races) or Stonelord (Dwarf only)

- Main damage source is crushing.
- Weapons of choice Hammer and Greathammer.
- Nuke is basically massively toned down version of druids Earthquake. Since it's always aoe, damage should be bellow your average nuke. Plus it has awesome visual effect!
- Supplement damage is a single target crushing DoT like Fury's "Fury of Wind".
- "Rolling Stone" while this buff is active you cannot be rooted or snared, but your movement is [insert %] slower.
- "Boulder Brother" Buff that increases your resistance vs slashing and piercing but reduces resistance vs crushing.
- "Bite the Dust" Self only heal.
- "Dirt Cheap" For a short period of time mana cost of your spells is 0.
- "Rough Around the Edges" Damage shield that bleeds enemies.
- "Petrify" roots your enemy and grants him "Boulder Brother" effect for the duration of the root.
- "Cement Shoes" Snare
Braxis
Icy Troll
Icy Troll
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: New Class

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:01 am

I really like the idea of an arcane archer. Keep it rogue, but give extra bow mastery powers that are procs. Or increase the proc rate just for that class. Or there can be a focus line that will increase proc chance as it is trained. Maybe a couple "arcane" goodies like elemental DS and/or a small expose. Would work nice with a caster group
Image
Anklebiter
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:46 am

Re: New Class

Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:52 am

I like the BeastMaster idea - acces to all wereforms and a pet that is actually worth using - most pets are garbage but give them super pet buffs - maybe 1 that can go invis or at least make it powerfull enough to be usefull in a fight
Side note - make assy pet viable let it go into invis with you ;]
Deviston
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:26 pm

Re: New Class

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:33 am

Monk. Straight up let's see a monk. Monk flagged weapons allow them to do more than punch, but the monk would be an enlightened being with some self sustain. Focused around having either two weapons in hand, or an offhand unique monk weapon that allows for some special attacks and effects. With the special weapon they could HoT themselves, reduce healing resistance on another, or something similar. Swapping back to two weapons of course increases their damage output.
Perhaps they can only be moderate damage, high defense, with a weird quirk.... they are buffed after coming out of CC effects! The concept being that they take their CCed time to build inner strength (or whatever) and have a buff after. Maybe a series of buff skills they can activate only after being CCed. Low cost to put points into, maybe just JM only since it's dependent on the enemy deciding they need to be debuffed or CCed.

Had some more thoughts on this:
Base Classes: Healer, Warrior
Races: ?
Disciplines: ?

Skills
Level 10: granted Enlightenment, Running, Ambidexterity, Athletics, Light Armor

Weapon Specializations
Unarmed Combat, Unarmed Combat Mastery, Staff Mastery, Dagger Mastery

Attributes
Health Bonus: 30
Mana Bonus: 20
Stamina Bonus: 40

Class Information
Available Roles: Damage, Healer, Buffer
Damage Types: Physical, Mental, Melee

Class Weapons
Monk’s Focus: An orb of collected energy, this unique weapon uses the Enlightenment skill to determine hit chance and power of Enlightenment powers. Can only be worn on off hand.

Class Armor
Robes of the Ascetic: Robes that requires 100% enlightenment for use. All pieces of this set include baked in bonus of +1 resistance to all resistance types except healing.
True Abbot Leathers: Light armor that requires 100% LA for use. All pieces of this set include baked in bonus of +2 bonus to Monk weapon skills (insert types) and a +1 bonus to Spirit.

Healing
Sacrifice the Strength
“Group lowest health heal”
Effects: Consume any buffs provided by Debuff Recoveries to heal the lowest health ally in your group by X amount per buff.

Restore Reserves
“Self Heal over Time”
Effects: Heal X every three seconds while under the effects of buffs provided by Debuff Recoveries. Duration ends one heal tick after Debuff Recovery Buffs end.

Buffs
Redirection of the Open Palm
“Personal Ability Debuff Recovery Buff Chant”
Effects: When an ability debuff ends, monk gains a buff equal to half the value of the debuff for the same amount of time as the duration of the debuff. This buff stacks with other ability buffs.

Weakness to Strength
“Personal Resistance Debuff Recovery Resistance Buff Chant”
Effects: Same as the above but for resistances.

Reflection without Direction
“Personal Debuff reflect Chant”
Effects: Certain debuffs reflected back on their caster

Suffer for the Greater Good
“Group Debuff Leech Buff”
Effects: Target allies in group, you take their next debuff. This consumes the buff on the ally.



Stance and Weapon Powers
All Stances
Granted D Stance: Healer 35, Warrior 40
Granted O Stance: Healer 30, Warrior 30
Granted P Stance: Healer 20, Warrior 25
Last edited by Deviston on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good luck and take care all!
phoenixblk
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:42 pm

Re: New Class

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:37 am

Not quite a brand new class, but how about adjusting rune access and weapon powers for classes to make "new" classes. Make all mastery runes give access to the weapon skills as well as the focus line for all classes that can apply it. Give Archer access to all classes that have bow powers. Increase weapon powers on classes with low weapon powers. This would create a lot of opportunities for new builds that are viable as well as eliminating the confusion as to why I can apply a mastery rune and train the focus but get zero powers. Could also expand classes with specific weapon requirements for weapon powers to allow more weapons to not lock them in (Crusader, Templar, Huntress, giant killer allowing cut down to size to work with more weapons).

Some examples would be archery rune being open to crusader, sentinel, and Templar which all get bow/Xbow powers but can't use Archer.

Throwing can be applied to bards, rangers, and templars currently but none get weapon powers which would change.

Things like wyrmslayer would get spear and spear mastery powers to classes that apply it. Would definitely shake things up and allow for a lot more builds on the field.

So any weapon focus or mastery line you are able to train you get powers for it, and if the class currently has the main focus line they can apply the relevant mastery rune.
Last edited by phoenixblk on Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reaper989
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:36 am

Re: New Class

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:17 pm

phoenixblk wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:37 am
Not quite a brand new class, but how about adjusting rune access and weapon powers for classes to make "new" classes. Make all mastery runes give access to the weapon skills as well as the focus line for all classes that can apply it. Give Archer access to all classes that have bow powers. Increase weapon powers on classes with low weapon powers. This would create a lot of opportunities for new builds that are viable as well as eliminating the confusion as to why I can apply a mastery rune and train the focus but get zero powers. Could also expand classes with specific weapon requirements for weapon powers to allow more weapons to not lock them in (Crusader, Templar, Huntress, giant killer allowing cut down to size to work with more weapons).

Some examples would be archery rune being open to crusader, sentinel, and Templar which all get bow/Xbow powers but can't use Archer.

Throwing can be applied to bards, rangers, templars, and sentinels currently but none get weapon powers which would change.

Things like wyrmslayer would get spear and spear mastery powers to classes that apply it. Would definitely shake things up and allow for a lot more builds on the field.

So any weapon focus or mastery line you are able to train you get powers for it, and if the class currently has the main focus line they can apply the relevant mastery rune.
This...

Classes with weapons they don't even get decent weapon powers, or access to mastery, and other such things.

Now if only Huntsman could give mastery... I might have to re-visit the bow druid troll build. But it did bother me it gave polearm, spear, and bow... yet without powers or mastery it kinda falls flat even for funzies. (Yet still confused why druids got a sword instead of a dagger or hammer.... at least it has decent weapon powers if we got them)

Ok maybe not but confessors/prelates/druids all with swords yet not a single damn is given to use them. If a class has a weapon, they should at least get rank 20 minimum on powers... caster or not. And maybe consider something to boost them to use these weapons. Since unless you're going defense or have a damage buff, you will just stick with a 25% atr/resist or resist/resist weapon.
maxwellchill
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:03 am

Re: New Class

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:39 am

phoenixblk
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:42 pm

Re: New Class

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:48 am

Went through and was looking at various classes and wanted to expand on my suggestion.

Any class that has spear & spear mastery baseline (example Fury) should have access to wyrmslayer.

Any class that has a special class weapon or weapon that uses their focus line should get at least a 30 in that weapon skill and the mastery.

Any class that has blade master and blade weaver should have those powers equal to their sword powers as those are specialty runes. For example, warriors have 40 sword but only 35 bladeweaving for some reason and should get 40.

All weapon powers that are trained by a class or profession should have a minimum weapon skill that is deemed useful (10,15,20?) but 5 is not useful. If the weapon doesn't make sense for the class to use at a power above 5 then it should be removed.
Reaper989
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:36 am

Re: New Class

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:14 pm

phoenixblk wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:48 am
Went through and was looking at various classes and wanted to expand on my suggestion.

Any class that has spear & spear mastery baseline (example Fury) should have access to wyrmslayer.

Any class that has a special class weapon or weapon that uses their focus line should get at least a 30 in that weapon skill and the mastery.

Any class that has blade master and blade weaver should have those powers equal to their sword powers as those are specialty runes. For example, warriors have 40 sword but only 35 bladeweaving for some reason and should get 40.

All weapon powers that are trained by a class or profession should have a minimum weapon skill that is deemed useful (10,15,20?) but 5 is not useful. If the weapon doesn't make sense for the class to use at a power above 5 then it should be removed.
Most of the issues with class weapons is that some weapons just have poor powers....

We have so many swords yet swords have subpar weapon skills, especially for a caster. Would take a class dagger over a sword any day of the week.

And healers with swords rather than a hammer, dagger, and we can't even consider 2H as healers need block otherwise you're squishy as balls. Not that staff isn't a fun weapon, but staff/sword seems to be a "go to" for weapons in SB.

Yet classes like assassins and nightstalkers got daggers even tho UA is superior in most cases.
phoenixblk
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:42 pm

Re: New Class

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:27 pm

Reaper989 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:14 pm
Most of the issues with class weapons is that some weapons just have poor powers....

We have so many swords yet swords have subpar weapon skills, especially for a caster. Would take a class dagger over a sword any day of the week.

And healers with swords rather than a hammer, dagger, and we can't even consider 2H as healers need block otherwise you're squishy as balls. Not that staff isn't a fun weapon, but staff/sword seems to be a "go to" for weapons in SB.

Yet classes like assassins and nightstalkers got daggers even tho UA is superior in most cases.
Well that is a separate issue. Swords are pretty decent, as long as you aren't fighting high defense characters. Same with spear, hammer, and all the other weapons without def cuts. This is a problem with defense making some builds (generally rogues) immune from damage vs other builds and was created when style casting was removed. There was also a point where a weapon didn't have to hit to proc, which made a lot of interesting proccing builds possible, but was changed. The stance remove from hammer was neat, but it needs a 5-10 second "cannot enter any stance" debuff to make it work. Without giving every weapon a defense cut I don't see how you can make every weapon always viable because the most common classes in the world are rogues and Templars, and they are 95% of the time going to have high defense.

At least with allowing masteries and buffing the current weapon powers more builds are viable, but generally weapons with a defense cut will always be better.
Reaper989
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:36 am

Re: New Class

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:09 pm

phoenixblk wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:27 pm
Reaper989 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:14 pm
Most of the issues with class weapons is that some weapons just have poor powers....

We have so many swords yet swords have subpar weapon skills, especially for a caster. Would take a class dagger over a sword any day of the week.

And healers with swords rather than a hammer, dagger, and we can't even consider 2H as healers need block otherwise you're squishy as balls. Not that staff isn't a fun weapon, but staff/sword seems to be a "go to" for weapons in SB.

Yet classes like assassins and nightstalkers got daggers even tho UA is superior in most cases.
Well that is a separate issue. Swords are pretty decent, as long as you aren't fighting high defense characters. Same with spear, hammer, and all the other weapons without def cuts. This is a problem with defense making some builds (generally rogues) immune from damage vs other builds and was created when style casting was removed. There was also a point where a weapon didn't have to hit to proc, which made a lot of interesting proccing builds possible, but was changed. The stance remove from hammer was neat, but it needs a 5-10 second "cannot enter any stance" debuff to make it work. Without giving every weapon a defense cut I don't see how you can make every weapon always viable because the most common classes in the world are rogues and Templars, and they are 95% of the time going to have high defense.

At least with allowing masteries and buffing the current weapon powers more builds are viable, but generally weapons with a defense cut will always be better.
Sword is mostly atr cuts, bleeds, and a snare under mastery.... And I think an attack speed debuff but I'd have to check.

Hammer would at least give stuns/pb's and every expose type for a healer. And a dagger pretty much has everything a sword would unless you want the snare. Now if we were talking grestsword? Alrighty, but there's a reason swords are only used on defensive builds, and obviously dual wield melee setups.
DingosOwn
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: New Class

Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:42 am

would be kinda cool to see a healer-stalker again. had a ton of fun with it during one of the betas
tell
Snobo
Snobo
Location: VA, USA
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:56 am

Re: New Class

Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:17 am

New class = "Skah!"
Stealth
obscuring gas for escape
Speed
Low attack and def ratings
Mainly can plant long duration mines and traps (damage, long snares, aoe blind, poison dots, etc) invis to enemy/mobs, viz to group/guild/allies
gains exp on any affected enemy

:twisted:
War is Deception

Return to “Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

sell diamonds online