View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 6:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
 Newbie Guide, by Rewen and MikeDizzle 
Project Manager

Post Newbie Guide, by Rewen and MikeDizzle
Narrative

<After clicking the link to this post, your muscles grow cold and fail you. Your eyes are drawn to the words below and you feel compelled to read the words. An unfamiliar and sinister voice speaks over the one in your mind, soon replacing it entirely>

Don't be afraid. Don't try to answer, either, nobody around you can hear my voice. No, I am not a ghost come to curse you and no, you are not mad. You can hear my words, but I speak them not: you are hearing my thoughts, just as I can hear yours so easily. Stop looking around, you cannot possibly see me. If you run, I will find you. Rest assured, I could sense the patterns of your thoughts more than a league away. I say again, do not be afraid. I have not sought you out to harm you, but to show you your true potential. I've come to set you free.

Who am I? I am a Shadowbane player, master of PVP. I will not tell you my name, you must learn it for yourself. That is your first test. If you pass it, you may too walk the Path of Owning, and perhaps you shall prove yourself disciplined enough to become a Shadowbane player yourself, and join our game. How can you possibly guess my name, when you can't even see me? You have the ability. Since the fateful day of the Turning, some in every race have been born with The Gift: that rare combination of willpower and perception that lets a person escape from the prison of the care bears, which binds the potential of almost every thinking being in the World. As each Shadowbane player can alter the minds of others through trolling and flaming, so our Order works to change the World, sweeping away the errors of the past to build a new age. Now that the influence of the meddling Ubi Gods has ended, the time has come for us to claim our rightful place as masters of the World. There are typically two sorts who gain the Gift. Some are refugees from other MMOs, familiar with the lag and s*** talk, while others are new - come to find for the first time the feeling of self-importance gained from teabagging their first grave stone.

If you would learn my name, you must first focus on your perceptions, and learn to master them. Another test: how many people are in the forum with you now? You should know, you set eyes upon them all as you came in, but then you forgot it, because your mind decided the information was not important. It truly was not important when your enemy was an NPC. So it was with everything: every step we take, every face we pass is forgotten, just as our minds forget that they cause our lungs to breathe and hearts to beat without our focus. Consciousness, that part of the mind that must define all it sees, moves too slowly - it is the warden of the prison of delusion. So, answer the question - how many people are within the forum? Stop trying to know and simply know. Very good. You see how will and awareness can work together, bringing you knowledge instantly. A Shadowbane player can read the thoughts of others, troll and flame like none other, and predict the actions of his foes. Through will and conscious control of his body a Shadowbane player can move faster, strike harder, and render himself immune to pain or grief. His awareness of his foe's thoughts and intentions makes him deadly in combat or posting on the forums, master shadowbane players can even bend their will upon other minds, disrupting them with storms of random, confused thought or taking control of them altogether. The greatest Shadowbane players can hone their awareness to an uncanny level, and even detach their minds from their material bodies, wandering the world or to the fridge in an astral form no wall or obstacle can bar while their group members level them up unknowingly. All of these secrets await you, if you can but pass my test. What is my name?

Guessing will not avail you. I assure you, you know it already. You must tap into your awareness and focus your will by glancing at the top of this post. My voice now seems familiar? Good. Yes, you remember - you were a child two years old when I visited your father. I've been watching you a long time. Yes, my name is Rewen or rather, that was the name I told him. Your will and your perceptions are ready. Leave the forum if you would learn what we can teach you. Be warned, however - the offer will come only once. Refuse it, and you deny your true potential, dooming yourself to the life of one of the simpletons around you, the limited life of the past. The future is ours.

Open your mind, and follow me if you dare!

Shadowbane New Player Guide

Foreword

I will come right out and say this now. Shadowbane is a PVP game, you knew that. What you may not know is that over the years, the players of Shadowbane have become a pretty thick-skinned bunch. Whether your interaction is in the game, on a forum, or within a Ventrilo server, do not expect a warm and friendly interaction. It's nothing personal, you simply must understand that when your main enemy is another human being and not some brainless mob, the trash talk can get pretty epic.

If you want to know more about the mechanics of the game itself, check out the Shadowbane Wiki.

Game Account

If you haven't done so already, you must create a forum account on The Shadowbane Emulator's website. Even if you do not intend to watch or involve yourself in the politics of the game world, you still need a forum account to play Shadowbane.

Step by Step:

1. Access the Shadowbane Emulator Forum Index
2. Click "Register" and agree to the terms
3. Enter your credentials to register a new accout. Click the Shadowbane Wiki link above if you need to know which in-game races you can play in Shadowbane.

The Client

Like most games, you must download and save the game client to your computer's hard drive.

Step by Step:

1. Download (and extract) the client appropriate for your computer (remember the file path that you save it to):

2. Access the Shadowbane file directory, open "ArcaneIP". It should look something like this. Change it to look like this and save over the existing file.

3. Create a shortcut to "Shadowbane.exe" on your desktop or task bar, and you're ready to rock. Click the shortcut and log in with your forum username and password.

Creating Characters

Shadowbane has 12 races, 22 classes, and 48 disciplines. You can imagine the huge number of unique character builds. The best way to learn is to dive into a Wiki article and poke around. Here's a list of races to get you started:

Bear in mind that every race has benefits and disadvantages. For example, the Human has even stats in strength, dexterity, constitution, intelligence, and spirit, where as a Nephilim starts with more strength and intelligence, but have lower constitution and dexterity.

After you decide on a race, you’ll need to decide which base class you want to be. They are Fighter, Healer, Mage, and Rogue. Each is unique in its own way, but there are certain professions that can be accessed by multiple classes. You'll have to decide from character creation which one will benefit your profession to you personal play style once you promote to a prestige class, which I'll will cover later.

Building Your Character

The character creation process in Shadowbane is somewhat complicated to allow for the vast number of unique character builds and play styles in Shadowbane. Read about the classes of Shadowbane in Morloch Wiki and give some thought to what role you like to play.

A good way to start building effective characters is to start with some templates that others have found success with. I've gathered some here:

If you like to be the one in your enemy's face, swinging your sword like a madman, anything from the fighter base class is for you:
If you'd prefer more of a subtle role, all the rogue classes are granted stealth, allowing them to perform deadly sneak attacks.
Like to keep your hands clean and let your spells do the talking? The mage base classes are the obvious choice!
The most sought-after and useful classes are the healers, whose heals and buffs make allies both more deadly and more durable.

Advanced Templates

Have a question about one of these or have some ideas of your own? The Class Discussion forum is where other Shadowbane players can compare what they've created.

Interacting with Players

I know some people prefer to play solo, and that opportunity is available in Shadowbane. But this is an MMORPG, it was designed with player interactions in mind, so it's recommended that you join a guild. Guilds can offer easy access to leveling or power leveling opportunities, magic weapons and armor, protection from rival guilds, and social interaction. The armies in Shadowbane are made up of players like yourself, so good guild leaders are always on the look out for new recruits.

There are several ways to find a guild. The simplest and most successful is creating a forum post explaining what you are looking for in a guild and what you can offer in terms of play time and commitment level. The Guild Hall is an excellent place to check for guilds recruiting, or to display your application to guilds you’re interested in.

The "Looking For Guild" flag is a passive way to search. within the game itself, open the options screen and click the "looking for guild". This will alert any who see you or see your name in the players list that your services are available for hire. If you want a more active approach to searching, stand in a free hold city such as Sea Dog's Rest and shout with the "/shout" command.

Be forewarned that some guilds require you to access their own guild website and apply on their guild forum. They may also ask you to log into a voice chat program such as Ventrilo, which is a very good idea since stopping to type in a fast-paced game like Shadowbane could cause problems.

Building a City

This section is a little more advanced. But I’ll cover some of the basics to starting up a city.
First you’ll have to be in a guild or create your own with a Guild Charter from a Runemaster. Next you will need to obtain either a Guild Seed, or a Bane Stone. There are only a certain amount of cities allowed per area throughout the map, if all of the available slots are taken up in a certain area you will not be able to place another guild seed in that area. In which case you will need a Bane Stone, see the sections on “Banes” for more information.

Getting the Right items

There is only one item completely necessary for starting your city, the Guild Seed. You can purchase one from an existing Runemaster in a safe zone city, like Sea Dog’s Rest or King’s Cross for example. In order to access the tree once it is placed you will need a Runemaster.

Choosing the right location

Each map has different caps on how many cities can be in each area, in order to find out if the area is full or not, you can check on your map by hovering over each area. On the server up when there are no trees at all, the areas will not update until the tree has spawned, so it may say there is room but there are already trees growing in that area and no more will be able to be placed. The only way to know for sure is to run to each area and check for yourself. When you have found an area that has an available spot you have to chose a place to plant your guild seed within that area. Guild Seeds cannot be placed too close to another Guild Seed, Rune Gates, near water, or mob zones. It is good to keep in mind certain zones or mines that you would like to position yourself near to benefit from, like Elite Armor drops, or a location with multiple mines close by.

Deciding on a Type of City

There are a plethora of options within city design and function. Three general choices that are popular throughout the Shadowbane community are Merchant Cities, Trainer Cities, and Crafting Cities.

A Merchant City focuses around making a public city for people to travel to so that you can sell your items to them.

Trainer Cities focus on trainer buildings that either allow access to the general community, or for your nations use only. A benefit of having a public trainer city is to charge extra for people who don’t have access to higher ranked trainers. Where as a Nations trainer cities prices are lowered so that the nation can train for a cheaper price.

A Crafting City is used by anyone who wishes to create their own items to use or sell, these cities are almost always necessary by big nations in order to create special equipment with resources. These Cities are often used as the Capital city because the items within are the most valuable, as well as the resources that need to be protected.

Cities can also be simple access points so nations can easily get to certain areas, or "open PvP" cities which encourage small-scale PvP.

Designing Your City

After obtaining a Guild Seed and find a location to plant it, you’ll need to utilize that area with buildings and walls. You can use this reference to get an idea of all the buildings that can go within a a city, as well as the contracts that can be placed within each one.

Banes

A bane is declaring war on another nation with a bane stone. Once this bane stone is placed the other nation has about 2 days to choose a time for that bane or else it will default to a “server normal” time. You have to physically go back to the bane stone to check to see what time that city has set the bane for. Once they have set their time it is wise to instruct all members on your side of the bane to log on an hour early for preparation for the battle ahead. to go about placing a bane on another city, first it is best to have Rogue characters to place the stone because if you are trying to place the bane stone you don’t want any Thieves trying to steal the stone from you before you place it, and if that happens then there is 10 million gold lost. Having a scout is necessary when placing a bane stone.

An ideal set of siege items to bring for placing a bane is 1 Bane stone, 2 siege tents, 2 bankers, 2 artillery's, 8-10 bulwarks. Banes calls for a very strategic placement such as corner of the walls have less health than the side of the walls. Sometimes terrain can give you an advantage to placing a bane stone. Sometimes a city might have hills or next to a water front close enough where you can place a bane stone almost out of sight from the enemy. These little tactics can make a huge difference in winning a battle because if an enemy doesn’t have a complete line of sight then it will give you an advantage of seeing them first. A bulwark is a set of 3 trebuchets which you can target an enemy’s bulwarks or their city structures. Depending on size and battle you might want to use most of your siege limit on bulwarks. I believe the limit of siege items you can place is 14. Once the bane has started you can claim a trebuchet and start targeting a enemy siege item or the enemy’s wall structure. Once all the sections of the wall have fallen to the point where you can reach the tree of their city, then you can place more bulwarks to start attacking the Tree. Depending on the rank of the tree you will have to attack it until it reaches the lowest rank possible. Depending on how you placed your bane stone you will either destroy the city completely or once the tree falls to the lowest level possible it will automatically become the person who planted the tree with the tags that they planted with will become theirs.

Read more about banes.

Mines

Mines are very important process to create the gear necessary. It is ideal to have a city so that when you own these mines which produce resources you are able to use these resources to create items you would like to have. There are 4 types of mines you can claim; Gold Mine, Lumber Camp, Ore Mine, and Magic Mine. Each of these types of mines can produce up to 4-6 different resources. To find out which resources are needed you need to look at the item you want to create from your vendor and from the warehouse you can choose which resources you what the mine to produce.

If you intend to capture a mine, I highly recommend bringing a mage who has applied the Battle Magus discipline. He or she can use their spells to decimate mines quickly. Mines can only be attacked once a day, and for only 1 hour in that day. This is called the "Window of Opportunity" (or WoO). While Mattle Magus is optional, someone who can claim a mine mine is not. The discipline rune you will need for this is called Prospector and you will not need to train anything because this rune grants you access to claim the mine. Once you get into prospecting stance, which takes some time, then you can start claiming the mine. Once the mine is claimed it will have to be protected until the end of the hour closes and then the mine is officially yours. Whichever person claimed that with the nation tags they are associated with, those resources will go to that city. After the mine is yours, your mine will produce a certain resource of a certain amount every hour.

Read more about the resource system.

Elite Armor Hunting

There is Elite armor throughout the world that is better than your average gear, and you could use the forums or the world to find them. This elite armor can give you an advantage at anytime on the battlefield.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:51 pm

Post Re: Newbie Guide, by Rewen and MikeDizzle
What I like about this guide is the character development part, but If I was a newbie, I would need to know more than a link to morloch wiki. Too bad the guide immediately jumps to city building, which is for a newbie, completely irrelevant. There should be more things about what to do after you connect to the game, what to do after newbie island etc. The guide should definately mention loot system, tracking, safe zones etc. This guide would help me practically only install the game and find the morlochwiki if I was a newbie player.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:08 pm

Congrats to Rewen & Mikedizzel. My favorite was the Introduction. Quite entertaining and original. Well done.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:05 pm

It's a NEWBIE guide. It has beginner information on the game "Shadowbane" and what it entails. It's not suppose to be a 500 page in depth assessment of the game.

Grats MikeD!

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:40 pm

bullets wrote:
It's a NEWBIE guide. It has beginner information on the game "Shadowbane" and what it entails. It's not suppose to be a 500 page in depth assessment of the game.

Grats MikeD!

Yea bullets thanks! Don't listen to these trolls they have nothing better to do sometimes...

Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:45 pm

not very noobie orientated

Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:22 pm

However I do find the guide to be thoroughly informative.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:23 pm
Roundtable Member

-1 for using incorrect map screenshot

Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:10 am
5v5 Champion

Dyson wrote:

[ Image ]

rofl

SB Character Creator
EXCEL http://www.tinyurl.com/sbcharcreator
Open Office http://tinyurl.com/sbcharcreator-OO

Shadowbane client DL (PW: shadowbane)
Direct Download

Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:19 pm

That's definitely a *****.

Erik the Asslord - R5 Aelfborn Prelate

Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:09 pm

I still think that this guide is redundant for a new player, the thing it was designed for but im just an old veteran on his last days.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:11 pm

MikeDizzle wrote:
bullets wrote:

Grats MikeD!

Yea bullets thanks! Don't listen to these trolls they have nothing better to do sometimes...

Oh, that's a very long time away from Shadowbane. Hello Mike, I am not sure you are the same Mike as I know very long time ago.....This is George, from China.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:01 pm

georgebika wrote:
MikeDizzle wrote:
bullets wrote:

Grats MikeD!

Oh, that's a very long time away from Shadowbane. Hello Mike, I am not sure you are the same Mike as I know very long time ago.....This is George, from China.

Hey george I do remember you how are you doing?

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:11 pm

Nice job Mike and Rewen. Very comprehensive!

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:23 am

Error in the guide: don't launch "Shadowbane.exe", but rather "sb.exe".

The first, as written in the guide, will attempt to patch through UbiSoft.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:25 pm

Dyson wrote:

[ Image ]

Looks like a [fluffy bunnies] monster.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:30 pm

Hey Mike!

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:22 pm

Daymar wrote:
Narrative

The most sought-after and useful classes are the healers, whose heals and buffs make allies both more deadly and more durable.

you should list how buffs are a joke since conc was invented. just sayin

Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:12 am

Thaney wrote:
Daymar wrote:
Narrative

you should list how buffs are a joke since conc was invented. just sayin

true story, unless you really want those 5 stat points.

lol i remember when bladeweaving priests were awesome because they could dex buff themselves. Of course, this was when the max lvl was 59.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:12 am

I liked the original version of this guide when it was first posted on google docs, that bus was very informative.

Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:26 pm

another guide bookmarked and ready to read ;p

Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:31 pm

Well done, cousin! Now we need to get Feldoh back. and maybe suddent... and daeloc, fran, shar, maclad, trynn, spike, gravy, dopey, hell even GA lol, oh and tartarus

Wed May 15, 2013 8:56 pm

Thank you for the game guide info.

Fri May 24, 2013 12:50 pm

:ugeek: :geek:

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:10 am

Consider me back then! Legit guide too, nicely done.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:49 pm

Post Newbie Guide by Rewen and MikeDizzle
anyone got a good method to cleaning the crap out of the hole, that has covered the spark plug nut ?

Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:15 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]