aeroch application

Forum for posting recruitment applications. Only the authors and team members can see submissions.
aeroch
SBE Team
SBE Team

aeroch application

Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:24 pm

1. Which team are you applying to?
Development

2. Please describe your Shadowbane game play history. How long did you play Shadowbane? Which servers did you play on?
2004 to close, primarily on Mourning, Test, and Vindication

3. Which areas of Shadowbane are you most experienced in? Is there a mechanic of the game that you are more knowledgeable in than others? Please explain your most valuable asset you believe you have as a Shadowbane player.
I'd consider myself pretty knowledgeable in every aspect other than city, siege, and guild/nation minutiae

4. You are going to either test/design a zone. Which aspects would you include in your report and how would you report the information?
As far as design, I'd place R5 Bearkin mobs in a stockade as close together as possible to expedite the levelling process

5. Do you have any skills in IT or programming, and how much experience do you have?
I'm beginning my senior year working towards a BS in Computer Science currently. I've worked on small projects mainly dealing with data manipulation. I don't have any experience with a project of this scale or programming with video games in mind.

6. What sets you apart from another applicant?
I'm very familiar with the game and its mechanics, less so since the RiF updates but I can get up to speed quickly

7. How much time will you be able to dedicate to the project?
5-6 hours per week ideally, more over this summer and less in the fall

As to the languages involved in the project, I'm very familiar with Java and MySQL. I have a Linux box and I'm looking into getting a Windows server up and running, but I have no experience with that.

As far as RichV's list, I've color coded when I'm comfortable and familiar with -- green for comfortable, yellow for some experience, red for little to no experience.

Basics
  • Object oriented programming / Classes
  • for/while loops
  • if/else if/else tests
  • switch/case tests
  • try/catch blocks
  • Parent/Child class relationship
  • Keywords: private/protected/public/static/void/null/final
  • Types: byte/short/int/long/float/String
  • Arrays/Maps
  • Threading //I'm okay with threading and concurrency in theory, but I've had very little experience implementing it
  • Building/Debugging code
  • Basic MySQL commands
  • Working with an svn //I've used Git for personal projects, but I've never worked with a version control system on an actual project with other contributors
  • Binary/Hex/Decimal conversions
More advanced
  • Sockets // very limited experience
  • Synchronization - locking/atomic // very limited experience
  • 3D math / vectors
  • Abstraction
  • Encryption
  • Compression
  • MySQL table creation/manipulation
  • MySQL stored procedures
  • Thread pooling
  • Caching
  • Quad Trees
  • Height Maps
  • Collision Detection
  • Optimization
  • Unit testing
  • Assembly Language
  • Breaking down binary files
I'd very much like to help and I've wanted to apply for quite some time, but it hasn't been until recently that I've had the free time and the confidence to submit an application.

Having said that, I know it takes quite a bit to get new developers up to speed and it may not be a worthwhile use of resources to get me up to speed. Depending on where the project is at right now, there may not be anything that I could feasibly work on either. But if there's work that I could be trusted with, I'd love the opportunity.

Thanks!
chimpy
SBE Team
SBE Team

Re: aeroch application

Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:17 am

I'll Support Aeroch's application. His bug reports were very good so I am confident he will be just as successful on the development team.
Coolwatersx
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:06 pm

Aeroch is fantastic.
I've known him for a long time. He's about as solid as they come. Sounds like he's got the background to help you guys too.
Starfish
SBE Team
SBE Team

Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:35 am

Let's get you set up, Aeroch!
Coolwatersx
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:13 am

This will be great for the EMU. He's extremely smart and unassuming at the same time.

Fantastic addition.
aeroch
SBE Team
SBE Team

Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:01 pm

yooooooooo

thanks guys!
AdamWest
SBE Team
SBE Team