developer application

Forum for posting recruitment applications. Only the authors and team members can see submissions.
shadowcoder
Snobo
Snobo

developer application

Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:20 pm

1. Which team are you applying to?
I am applying to development team.

2. Please describe your Shadowbane game play history. How long did you play Shadowbane? Which servers did you play on?
I played for less than 6 months, right before the servers shut down. I've been checking in every once in awhile to sbemu since shadowbane went offline. I don't remember which server, I know it was a PVP server.

3. Which areas of Shadowbane are you most experienced in? Is there a mechanic of the game that you are more knowledgeable in than others? Please explain your most valuable asset you believe you have as a Shadowbane player.
I'd say mostly my assets is that I loved the game and love programming. I can work independently and also with a team as I do in my regular job.

4. You are going to either test/design a zone. Which aspects would you include in your report and how would you report the information?
If I am testing, when I report bugs I try to include any and all relevant information that would help a programming hunt it down and fix it, such as how to reproduce it.

5. Do you have any skills in IT or programming, and how much experience do you have?
I have several years of programming experience, received a CIS degree a year ago, and have been working as a professional software engineer for a year now. C++ being the main experience, but I've used others as well. I've made a couple games, including a 3D fighting game (same style as twisted metal), with collision, multiplayer using sockets, GUI using Qt, graphics using OpenGL. I also made a 2D game library (along with 4 games) using OpenAL for audio, OpenGL for graphics, which included a fairly realistic 2D collision system (along with a bit of physics) I completely coded in C++. I've also used several C/C++ libraries including Qt, OpenGL, OpenAL, ALSA, and probably others. I tend to pick up other languages quickly, and have some experience (some more than others) with C#, Java, PHP, HTML, QML (Qt), javascript. I've worked collaboratively on several real projects for clients at the company I work for.

6. What sets you apart from another applicant?
I know what I know, what I don't know, enjoy working on new algorithms, willing to teach and learn myself, play well with others.

7. How much time will you be able to dedicate to the project?
Potentially 10 hours a week, more or less depending on my interest, other things going on, etc.
shadowcoder
Snobo
Snobo

Re: developer application

Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:35 pm

Also thought I should mention I've done some video/audio related stuff, such as FFMPEG decoding, RTSP streaming, memory/cpu/networking optimization.
Vervandi
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:28 am

Loving programming is a rare commodity, +1
“some days, some nights, some live, some die, in the way of the Jen'e'tai, some fight, some bleed, sun up to sun down, the sons of a battlecry ”

"Every day I worry all day, about what's waiting in the bushes of love."
shadowcoder
Snobo
Snobo

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:46 am

Vervandi wrote:Loving programming is a rare commodity, +1
When do I start? :)
shadowcoder
Snobo
Snobo

Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:01 pm

I few questions :?: :geek:

Are you actually recruiting?

Can I see the code anywhere?
How large is the codebase at this point?
Daymar
SBE Team
SBE Team

Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:07 pm

Yes, we are recruiting. Our code is closed source with a little over 800 classes and 160,000 lines of code.

What's your motivation for wanting to join the project?
shadowcoder
Snobo
Snobo

Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:59 pm

Firstly, I want to work on something that I think is worthwhile. Shadowbane is one of the few games I really enjoyed playing, so I feel it fits this requirement.

Secondly, I want to work on a project that involves other people with a range of talents and ideas, because this gives a project greater potential. Shadowbane Emulator looks like it has this.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)
shadowcoder
Snobo
Snobo

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:26 pm

Papah wrote:What concerns me is your join date is the same as the date you applied.
I've been checking in on the progress from time to time by reading the site/forums, and felt no need to create an account to do this. Eventually thought I could help out, so I joined and applied. I actually had an account I created back in 2010 (un: Vendt), but apparently got deleted from lack of use.
Papah wrote:The user name also throws a red flag. -2.
I meant to type HonestHardWorkingFreeProgrammer, but I must have mistyped when I was registering...oops.
shadowcoder
Snobo
Snobo

Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:42 pm

Papah wrote:What concerns me is your join date is the same as the date you applied.
Why does this concern you?
Daymar
SBE Team
SBE Team

Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:50 pm

shadowcoder wrote:
Why does this concern you?
It's because we've had some deceptive people on the project in the past.

Do you have any references from people in the community that know you to verify that you're legitimate?
shadowcoder
Snobo
Snobo

Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:41 am

No, im just a fan that happens to be a developer
shadowcoder
Snobo
Snobo

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:57 pm

How do you all render graphics? 3D Models, images, and particles and such. Just curious as I've been doing a lot in this area recently.
RichV
SBE Team
SBE Team

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:14 pm

shadowcoder wrote:How do you all render graphics? 3D Models, images, and particles and such. Just curious as I've been doing a lot in this area recently.
We don't, that's all client side. We're just working on the server side.
shadowcoder
Snobo
Snobo

Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:48 am

Oh ok. Were there any plans too? I normally use mac os x, and performance was terrible on it compared with windows, I'm not sure why but I'm assuming it was the client side that was slowing it down.
Daymar
SBE Team
SBE Team

Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:43 pm

shadowcoder wrote:Oh ok. Were there any plans too? I normally use mac os x, and performance was terrible on it compared with windows, I'm not sure why but I'm assuming it was the client side that was slowing it down.
There is always the possibility to get into that later down the road but we don't have any specific plans for that right now.

Return to “Development Team Submissions”