Development Team Submission - AdamWest

Forum for posting recruitment applications. Only the authors and team members can see submissions.
AdamWest
SBE Team
SBE Team

Development Team Submission - AdamWest

Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:26 pm

1. Which team are you applying to?

Development team.

2. Please describe your Shadowbane game play history. How long did you play Shadowbane? Which servers did you play on?

I played Shadowbane for around 3 years from around '06 to '09 (?? not exactly sure on the dates.. it has been so long :( ) on the Wrath server, and the Loreplay server Vindication. It was an obsession.

3. Which areas of Shadowbane are you most experienced in? Is there a mechanic of the game that you are more knowledgeable in than others? Please explain your most valuable asset you believe you have as a Shadowbane player.

The most appealing feature of the game for me is the creative allowance the game gives for character building. Some of the most fun times I had were on strange builds that still managed to "work." A shade mage spear assassin, throwing dagger proc barb, dual-lit-hammer proccing HG sentinel... That's what I love most about Shadowbane; it prevents the game from ever getting stale (at least for me). So I came to know the proper ways around character creation and making the right choices regarding stats, trains, and runes.

4. You are going to either test/design a zone. Which aspects would you include in your report and how would you report the information?

I'm not exactly sure what this means, but I would include any and all bugs I came across while working, along with how I resolved them (or if they were unable to be resolved). I guess this would be submitted as a README along with my changes.

I guess designing a zone would be like a mob zone? This would include all camp locations (usually around 15 or so per zone), the specific mob types and number of each for each mob camp, and the stats and powers of those particular mobs.

5. Do you have any skills in IT or programming, and how much experience do you have?

Yes. I am a senior undergraduate majoring in Computer Science at an Ivy University. I have lots of experience working with Java, along with significant work in C. I have exposure to other languages like C++, Python, and more as well. I am comfortable working on a Linux command line, and I have also recently added HTML, CSS, PHP, and MySQL to my repertoire as I continue to develop my own website as a personal learning experience (see: http://www.pvpgamer.org).

I have experience using Amazon Web Services such as EC2 instances, Elastic MapReduce, and S3 (we built a mini-Google for one of my classes). I'm also working on an Android app (more Java) that will use a public data set provided by the National Institute of Health - http://pillbox.nlm.nih.gov/API-documentation.html

6. What sets you apart from another applicant?

I have basically completed all of my core classes for my major, so I have a wide-reaching set of programming skills. Also, our curriculum's primary focus on Java has given me ample practice to be very comfortable working with code written in this language (the game server).

7. How much time will you be able to dedicate to the project?

Around 10 hours a week.
Vervandi
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Development Team Submission - AdamWest

Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:28 pm

+1, clever guy, honest app
“some days, some nights, some live, some die, in the way of the Jen'e'tai, some fight, some bleed, sun up to sun down, the sons of a battlecry ”

"Every day I worry all day, about what's waiting in the bushes of love."

Return to “Development Team Submissions”