Feylan for Dev Team

Forum for posting recruitment applications. Only the authors and team members can see submissions.
Trynthlas
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Feylan for Dev Team

Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:06 am

So, Candi keeps trying to recruit me to the test team, and I get that, but I often get too cross-eyed after doing methodical test related stuff for too long (which is why it has taken me so long to do some of the item rolling testing help that I did). On the other hand, I do software engineering/development for a living, and would enjoy the hell out of working on a project that I have interest in and am personally vested in seeing succeed.

1. Which team are you applying to?
Development

2. Please describe your Shadowbane game play history. How long did you play Shadowbane? Which servers did you play on?
Beta -> Death -> Mourning -> Lore (never remember the name)
I've been a guild member, IC, guild leader, nation leader. Played from late beta, launch, into 2006 or so. I left a while after we made the move to the lore server.

3. Which areas of Shadowbane are you most experienced in? Is there a mechanic of the game that you are more knowledgeable in than others? Please explain your most valuable asset you believe you have as a Shadowbane player.
I think I'm pretty well-rounded on the basic game mechanics including city management. Rusty on banes since I wasn't around for the later changes. I'm decent at theorycrafting in general and I can easily grasp the concepts of the various classes and powers. I have a special love for Rangers :)

4. You are going to either test/design a zone. Which aspects would you include in your report and how would you report the information?
Mob camps, number of mobs, (re)spawn rates, loot drops/tables as primary info. Testing would include a general sense of mob behavior and difficulty, whether loot matched said difficulty, details on average gold per time-unit (hours) for the camps (economy!). Other secondary concerns include zone navigability (including random objects that get in the way), points of interest (disc droppers, mine) and their locations relative to each other and the exterior world - how such things could impact player experience and pvp strategy.

5. Do you have any skills in IT or programming, and how much experience do you have?
I've been involved with computers for over 20 years, started programming (in any useful capacity - yay HTML!) around 2000. I have experience in Java, C/C++, Python, Javascript, HTML, XML, shell scripts, etc. I'm fairly familiar with the J2SE libraries (but not J2EE), and I've used a few different C++ ones. Python has mostly been Django/Satchmo (frameworks) centered. Javascript mostly in Node.js.

My main bulk of programming experience has been in Java and C++.

6. What sets you apart from another applicant?
I'm a good developer, usually working in a "agile" fashion where I can code-test-debug in small cycles with quick iterations that only change small pieces at a time. Build a piece (class, function, whatever), test it, build the next piece. I would say my primary distinguishing factor is my debugging ability. I'm good at tracking Skah! down.

7. How much time will you be able to dedicate to the project?
Less than I'd like, but I expect that's true of most people. I'd estimate avg 3 hour stints done 3-4 times a week. More or less depending on how life goes and what my responsibilities are there.

Basics you need to know
These are the basic programming skills it's recommended you have an understanding of when joining the project. You don't have to be an expert at using them, just be able to recognize them and understand what they do:

Object oriented programming / Classes - Yes
for/while loops - Yes
if/else if/else tests - Yes
switch/case tests - Yes
try/catch blocks - Yes
Parent/Child class relationship - Yes
Keywords: private/protected/public/static/void/null/final - Yes
Types: byte/short/int/long/float/String - Yes
Arrays/Maps - Yes
Threading - Yes
Building/Debugging code - Yes
Basic MySQL commands - Yes (are you using a particular java library to abstract some of this or are you building the SQL commands by hand?)
Working with an svn - Yes
Binary/Hex/Decimal conversions - Yes

More Advanced
These are some of the more advanced coding skills on the project. You don't need to understand these coming in, just realize you may be dealing with them here.

Sockets - Yes
Synchronization - locking/atomic - Yes
3D math / vectors - Rusty
Abstraction - Yes
Encryption - Noob
Compression - Noob
MySQL table creation/manipulation - Yes (mostly with an admin interface or abstracted from it)
MySQL stored procedures - No
Thread pooling - Yes
Caching - ish (I know/get the concept and have used caching implementations but not written any myself. Been using memcache lately for a python-based website project)
Quad Trees - No
Height Maps - No
Collision Detection - No
Optimization - Yes? (not sure precisely what 'optimization' is meant by this. C++ compiler does a lot of the work, and obviously there is also which types are used and how various procedures are implemented)
Unit testing - Yes
Assembly Language - No
Breaking down binary files - No
AdamWest
SBE Team
SBE Team

Re: Feylan for Dev Team

Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:29 pm

Looks like dev team recruitment is closed right now. Sorry!
Trynthlas
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Re: Feylan for Dev Team

Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:32 pm

Yeah, I noticed it wasn't listed as actually looking for any new devs. But, still seems like the team might need help and my interest and skills are more on the dev side than testing.

Anyhoo, it's up for y'alls consideration if/when you think more help on the dev team.

Return to “Development Team Submissions”