New Ranger Skill Ideas

Vlaad
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

New Ranger Skill Ideas

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:03 am

Just a few ideas, flame on.

Race of the Hare: Rabbits escape, thats what they do. It would makes sense that RotH has a root/snare immunity and dispel component. This ability should break wolfskin as there needs to be a sacrifice for using it.

Shield of Thorns: a 30 second ability with a .2 second casting time that adds +25 slash/pierce/crush resist and a +25 pierce damage shield. Should have a 300 second recast timer. Would help Rangers survive initial burst of damage from other meat and offer a slight buff against rogues. Maybe a def debuff should be applied to the Ranger.

Cage of Thorns: a 30 second ranged root/ground at GM with a 2 second casting time that deals damage to the target if dispelled. Would help Rangers close the gap against fliers and other toons, getting into melee range (or escape). This would be a replacement skill for Grasp of Thorns.

Mend the Wounds: Make it scale better. As it stands with 80 int (no gear), 115 beastcraft, and a conc pot 1 train nets a Ranger a heal for 101-301. With 40 trains it heals for 136-404. Extra trains are worthless. I suggest doubling the initial heal range of 20-54 to 40-108 at GM (was 27-73). That will at least give Rangers an option to, and a reason to, GM the skill.

I have more but lets start here. These are only suggestions and I am not saying ALL should be applied.
Deathmarch
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Re: New Ranger Skill Ideas

Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:45 am

I just want them to get a damage shield in general, like barbs or druids (preferably like barbs).
Beula
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:22 pm

Wouldn't it make sense for the damage shield to do slashing damage since wolfskin has the slashing expose and the ranger weapon is brialla blades? Also everyone stacks pierce resist so it'd suck anyways.
Vlaad
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:17 pm

It wold be piercing because thorns pierce the skin. I thought it should follow the theme of the other "thorns" abilities. Plus the real bonus are the resists, not the damage. Im not trying to suggest anything OP. If I were I would have said a +50 damage shield.
Beula
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:54 pm

Why cant they be vines that slash people?
Thoron
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:09 am

Great ideas, would def make fighter rangers better like so many people want.
~Retribution~
coolstream
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:48 am

Change Turn Steel from a + resist + def to a + resist damage shield IMO
I like the idea of a ranger with a root/snare break combined with the sprint...
"If I don't know what I'm doing, my enemy certainly can't anticipate my future actions!"
Vlaad
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:03 pm

coolstream wrote:Change Turn Steel from a + resist + def to a + resist damage shield IMO
I like the idea of a ranger with a root/snare break combined with the sprint...

I didnt want to touch Turn Steel because its great as it is. It offers something to bother rogue and fighter Rangers. Besides Rangers only get PR25 D-stance as is and TS doesnt stack with other defense buffs (like many others do) so it isnt OP. Unless there is a plan to increase Rangers' HP pools, there is a strong need for the added resists. They are still -25 the resists of HA.

It would only be a lateral move and wouldnt do anything to make them better than they already are.
Telemakus
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:24 pm

Vlaad wrote:Just a few ideas, flame on.

Race of the Hare: Rabbits escape, thats what they do. It would makes sense that RotH has a root/snare immunity and dispel component. This ability should break wolfskin as there needs to be a sacrifice for using it.

Shield of Thorns: a 30 second ability with a .2 second casting time that adds +25 slash/pierce/crush resist and a +25 pierce damage shield. Should have a 300 second recast timer. Would help Rangers survive initial burst of damage from other meat and offer a slight buff against rogues. Maybe a def debuff should be applied to the Ranger.

Cage of Thorns: a 30 second ranged root/ground at GM with a 2 second casting time that deals damage to the target if dispelled. Would help Rangers close the gap against fliers and other toons, getting into melee range (or escape). This would be a replacement skill for Grasp of Thorns.

Mend the Wounds: Make it scale better. As it stands with 80 int (no gear), 115 beastcraft, and a conc pot 1 train nets a Ranger a heal for 101-301. With 40 trains it heals for 136-404. Extra trains are worthless. I suggest doubling the initial heal range of 20-54 to 40-108 at GM (was 27-73). That will at least give Rangers an option to, and a reason to, GM the skill.

I have more but lets start here. These are only suggestions and I am not saying ALL should be applied.

Mend wounds definitely needs a change.

the damage shield and snare break sound neat, especially if you are half-giant. There would be a heavy amount of encouragement to roll half-giant.

I don't think a root that causes dmg upon being broken is implementable.
You can run, but you'll die tired.
Vlaad
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:10 pm

Telemakus wrote:I don't think a root that causes dmg upon being broken is implementable.
I have no idea what they can and cannot implement. If its impossible then obviously it cant be done. Just throwing out some ideas.

To clarify I only wanted the root to cause damage when dispelled. If it breaks on damage there should not be additional damage dealt.
coolstream
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:54 am

rangers are so close to being really good... maybe they just need a trainable root/snare break and a HP/Stam bump per level...
"If I don't know what I'm doing, my enemy certainly can't anticipate my future actions!"
Wrought
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:19 pm

coolstream wrote:rangers are so close to being really good... maybe they just need a trainable root/snare break and a HP/Stam bump per level...
Rangers are really good.
Exalted
frosty
Snobo
Snobo

Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:56 am

How about: Cut free deals 200 slashing dammage to self despells root and snare.

for mend the wound I would sugest up the low end so it heals 250-301
Ajushi
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:10 am

Rangers are very good, aside from the fighters needing an O stance boost. If anything I would like to see them get some group utility that isn't already automatically covered by 2 staple support classes. Probably changing their group dmg chant to a better version of WR version (in duration, rather than % and ofc it wouldn't stack with wr) OR perhaps even a group runchant, however controversial that may be. Both would require GM Wolfskin to train and activate.
Now you must build the lies you have told.
coolstream
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:10 pm

I would still say rangers are a second tier class

Maybe give them a detect hidden :3 the lack of running could maybe make that not OP
Vlaad
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:55 pm

Another couple ideas could be to:

1) Grant Rangers archery and precision
2) Make the Ranger damage buff stack with other damage buffs
Deathmarch
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:45 am

Vlaad wrote:Another couple ideas could be to:

2) Make the Ranger damage buff stack with other damage buffs
I like both of these.
Ajushi
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:00 am

The stacking dmg buff would be ridiculous.
Deathmarch
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:05 am

Ajushi wrote:The stacking dmg buff would be ridiculous.
For rogues yes, but for fighter rangers it wouldn't actually be all that huge. For unstyled damage it would only put fighter ranger DPS at 34% more than a Warrior, and styled DPS lessens the gap even further, this besides the lower HP pool and worse resists that a Ranger has to deal with.
Ajushi
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:21 am

Would be better off just nerfing toughness some if you want to see more varied gvg. Running for solo.

I think Rangers have a decent skillset with wolf, dmg/alac, a GM heal and stacking regen. The reason you don't see more of them is because warriors and scout/thief are so strong in their respective arenas.
Bonkers
Snobo
Snobo

Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:39 am

Definitely provide Rangers with Archery and give them a class bow. Ranger was the first thing i ever made and I always thought it very ridiculous that rangers needed to spend a disc slot to be able to use a bow properly. Having a class bow would give them a good reason to max Beast Lore which would help with their heal and easily give them access to some other powers. I understand that it would most likely make their points even more strained but hey its an option, they can use regular bows if they want. (Come to think of fit the Huntress is in the same dingy as Rangers when it comes to Archery, id say hook them up too.)

As for the melee variety the resist/damage shield idea is pretty cool. Call it "Blade Barrier" or something fun. It could reflect the rangers ability to slightly deflect attacks and cause slashing damage to the attacker for a short time. I'd work it in so that its not avail to the rogues. Make it require block of 1 or something. And i'm totally for the extra health per level but that may depend on the amount of resists they're given from the previous power.

Finally no to the stacking damage buff just because I cant see that working without the rogues getting it too, and that would just be sick.
Vlaad
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:25 pm

Bonkers wrote:Definitely provide Rangers with Archery and give them a class bow. Ranger was the first thing i ever made and I always thought it very ridiculous that rangers needed to spend a disc slot to be able to use a bow properly. Having a class bow would give them a good reason to max Beast Lore which would help with their heal and easily give them access to some other powers. I understand that it would most likely make their points even more strained but hey its an option, they can use regular bows if they want. (Come to think of fit the Huntress is in the same dingy as Rangers when it comes to Archery, id say hook them up too.)
Huntress already get 2 class weapons, 2 weapon power DoTs, and 2 GM weapon powers. They do not need archery as well.
Bonkers wrote:Finally no to the stacking damage buff just because I cant see that working without the rogues getting it too, and that would just be sick.
Why do you think that? Do you see many Rogue Rangers dominating small scale PvP now? Do you think that the change would make Theives and Scouts less desirable? Will Running be less OP because of it?
Jambi
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:59 pm

+1 rangers need this.
Deathmarch
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:35 am

The reason why rogue rangers don't dominate small-scale is because they're better than thieves and scouts at the PvP portion but lack the speed and escape tools, but they're not as good at the PvP portion as huntresses or Nightstalkers, leaving them as a 2nd-tier option for both fighting and fleeing, despite not being objectively poor.
Moco
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:18 am

Granting them archery is perfectly fine.

Granting them precision would need to be limited I'd say somewhere above disc based but no where near a scouts precision
Pertonas - "We will not bane Stimutax because it is a CN nation" "you play a bird scout & exploit constantly"
Deathmarch
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:35 am

Moco wrote:

Granting them archery is perfectly fine.

Granting them precision would need to be limited I'd say somewhere above disc based but no where near a scouts precision
Personally I'd rather see Rangers just get a class bow, which would also serve a similar purpose. I doubt a GMable precision would cause a problem on a class that has the pointsink of a hybrid class in focusline to get access to all the class powers, without receiving the atr bonus of a class weapon. How many BB rangers do you see running around in the first place? Nevermind that they wouldn't even benefit from GM precision anyways, since it's bow-only.
Vlaad
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:33 am

Deathmarch wrote:The reason why rogue rangers don't dominate small-scale is because they're better than thieves and scouts at the PvP portion but lack the speed and escape tools, but they're not as good at the PvP portion as huntresses or Nightstalkers, leaving them as a 2nd-tier option for both fighting and fleeing, despite not being objectively poor.
I think what you meant to say is that Rangers are better at the damage portion of PvP but worse in regards to maneuverability. You can divide it up anyway you want the fact remains that Rangers are a poorer choice for PvP in all aspects of PvP. They desperately need something to give them a niche which an unstyled DPS advantage would give them.
Deathmarch
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:40 am

Vlaad wrote:
Deathmarch wrote:The reason why rogue rangers don't dominate small-scale is because they're better than thieves and scouts at the PvP portion but lack the speed and escape tools, but they're not as good at the PvP portion as huntresses or Nightstalkers, leaving them as a 2nd-tier option for both fighting and fleeing, despite not being objectively poor.
I think what you meant to say is that Rangers are better at the damage portion of PvP but worse in regards to maneuverability. You can divide it up anyway you want the fact remains that Rangers are a poorer choice for PvP in all aspects of PvP. They desperately need something to give them a niche which an unstyled DPS advantage would give them.
Yeah basically. Huntresses and Assassins output more DPS, thieves and scouts are more maneuverable.
Agrathan
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:45 pm

could make herb lore a group health recovery instead of self only.I seem to remember this was group once on scorn but memory is fuzzy.
Zoopz
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:26 pm

I love how everyone thinks fighter rangers are gimp. They're pretty badass if you know what your doing....

I dont mind any of these ideas but if they're willing to actually put forth some change and test some Skah! Id like way better Skah!.
Shax wrote:The Darwin Awards better watch out for Zoopz.
Swing wrote:Zoopz, I think you should have your sig's ears flash on an off, too. There's just not enough animation in that sig.

Return to “Rogue”