Dodge

Lukoi
Snobo
Snobo

Dodge

Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:09 am

How much value is there to Dodge in the game currently. Have a rogue ranger and considering tinkering with the build that will allow it to get about 115 in dodge. Will that be helpful or just a trains-sink with low pay off?
Sek
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Re: Dodge

Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:52 am

Lukoi wrote:How much value is there to Dodge in the game currently. Have a rogue ranger and considering tinkering with the build that will allow it to get about 115 in dodge. Will that be helpful or just a trains-sink with low pay off?
I do everything I can to put 90 trains into dodge on my rogues. However, often there just isn`t enough points.

IMO, since your is bow (I think) you could get away having it a bit lower. But I`d still try to get it to ~100%.
TSCCC IC
Lukoi
Snobo
Snobo

Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:08 am

Thanks Sek. With 100 trains in bow, my % there is 135 once my dex is maxed. I would be putting 70 trains, maybe a smidge more if possible, in my little experiment. Is the dropoff in performance significant at 115 vice 130+ in dodge? Morloch formula says its base dodge score divided by 4, plus or minus one % for differences in level. So a 75 vs a 75 I am looking at a 28.75% at 115 and 32.5% for melee dodges (7 vs 8 for spells), which would be significant given enough time...but as a squishy rogue and the burst damage in game, figured I would ask if 115 is even worth trying to reach at this point.
tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:48 pm

rangers are one of those classes where getting high dodge is a problem. Im a fan of human rangers. If u have no def then dodge should be 115 to 130+. If your a high def ranger toon I often fall down in to the 90s or 80s unless its human.
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin
Lukoi
Snobo
Snobo

Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:15 pm

It is human, but even with the extra trains, doing everything for the BM/build is fairly problematic.

While I can see what the mathematical percentages say per the formula, I'm really asking for people's experiences with the value of dodge in-game. Are there so many casters and cast-like effects used that it's less useful, or is it something really key for many people's builds?

Btw, at 78 int, I'm still pumping trains in LA to get it to 135% or so, same with bow and archery at 95. I can use my refinements to add another batch of trains to get archery to a similar percentage which would help defense somewhat but not a ton, or ramp up my dodge from around 52% to 132%. Would the value of dodge clearly outweigh the additional defense gained from archery? My gut tells me yes, but looking for more expert and current opinions...I'm pretty rusty.
Sek
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:17 pm

Pro tip: avoid putting more than 90 trains into anything on a Ranger.

Also, on your actual question: It really depends.
Are you a bow ranger, or melee build?
If you are melee it is worth more than if you are bow.

Are you fighting casters/magic users more often, or physical damage users?
If you are fighting casters a lot, then dodge isn`t going to help you very much. I believe it takes 16% of dodge skill to gain a 1% chance to dodge a spell. So, more often that not, you won`t be dodging more than 10-12% of the spells.

Overall, as I said, I like to put 90 trains into dodge on my rangers. Even though they are HORRIBLY tight on trains.
I feel that the extra survivability shows when you are fighting proccers. For instance, proccer scouts used to be somewhat of a problem in the past (less so now). The extra dodge really helped against them.
TSCCC IC
tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:35 pm

Sek wrote:Pro tip: avoid putting more than 90 trains into anything on a Ranger.

Also, on your actual question: It really depends.
Are you a bow ranger, or melee build?
If you are melee it is worth more than if you are bow.

Are you fighting casters/magic users more often, or physical damage users?
If you are fighting casters a lot, then dodge isn`t going to help you very much. I believe it takes 16% of dodge skill to gain a 1% chance to dodge a spell. So, more often that not, you won`t be dodging more than 10-12% of the spells.

Overall, as I said, I like to put 90 trains into dodge on my rangers. Even though they are HORRIBLY tight on trains.
I feel that the extra survivability shows when you are fighting proccers. For instance, proccer scouts used to be somewhat of a problem in the past (less so now). The extra dodge really helped against them.
your ranger is loosing to scouts? Noooooes......bad ranger! I pwned rangers on mine....but...well I make badass scouts and i play them well.

my ranger got kited once by a vamp scout...but i Skah! up that fight and the scout was the best kiter id ever faced. I SHOULD have killed it...but we cant always be on the ball...i had the Skah! at a paper thin line for hp on his bar too..so it stung.

as far as BM rangers go i dont like making rogues..not enough points. High def with 4.5k+hp and regen is the way to go. Rogues get smashed by the fighter versions.

i do actually love making rogue rangers with no def and bm powers...but i usually end up with a staff on it.
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin
tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:38 pm

UA high con/int proc, regen rangers are better than everything else ranger though. Bows work too.
Just the whole con + regen + procs heal and ranger thorns makes for a op Skah! of a toon.
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

Return to “Rogue”