Dorf build

Thorasta
Snobo
Snobo

Dorf build

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:31 am

Is this build any good? Can it be tweaked to be good? 18 points left I haven't decided what to do with...

Dwarf
Male
Fighter
-5 all stats
int to 40
take WA and Clever
----
use every single int rune (brutal...) int ends up at 125
godly con to get 175
7 extra points dump them in... dex?
----
Sentinel
Forge Master
Rune Caster
----
Abjuration 90 trains
block 47 trains (95%)
toughness 90 trains (134%)
Heavy armor 90 trains (123%)
Hammer 57 trains (100%)
----
Dangriel's Might 40 (50% damage and spell damage buff)
Righteous Word of Binding 40 (small bomb)
Holy Word of Binding 40 (holy resistance debuf chant)
Sentinels Charge 1 (second sprint)
Exalted Word of Binding 20 (snare and mana drain)
Divine Word of Binding 40 (big bomb)

nyth rune 1 (heal)

Hone Weapon 1
Harden Armor 20
----
Unspent points - 18 (not sure where to put them)
----
Gear:
Con/Con rings
Con/all amulet
+9 def/resist armor
def shield
Sentinel hammer with +165 atr and holy proc
----
Always fight in def stance:

According to Arkanis sheet, using conc pots, I end up with:
6548 health
640 mana
494 stamina
943 atr, 48-224 dmg
1830 defense
75% physical resists with harden armor.

holy debuff NOT factored into:
little bomb: 201-672
big bomb: 693-2519

What'cha think?

... Maybe Undead Hunter, and dump the points in to consecrate weapon...
Colest
SBE Team
SBE Team

Re: Dorf build

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:54 pm

The trains in hammer are unnecessary. Put those trains into Block and GMing Exalted WoB. If it's a GvG Sent, then Nyth Rune is worthless and put the points into one of Str/Dex or Int/Spi AoE debuffs. If it's a small GvG Sent then JM Nyth Rune. Some people swear by Sentinel's Charge but the long recast has always proven to be too much to warrant training for me.

Also it's a crime not to get a Charmed prefix on necklaces.
Deathmarch
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:14 pm

DWOB only gets one train unless you're making a suicide bomb sent for a telebomb group or some such. Block has to be 100% for shields because of the weapons patch with server resets. Try to find points to get either HM or GHM to 70, the extra stun and PB will be worth it (should only need about 30 trains to do so). JM Nyth Rune, it's Skah! awesome. You can straight-up tank bow toons with it. Don't bother with hone weapon, you're not really going to be attacking anyways. Don't bother with con jewels, go either resist, double int, or int/abj, as that'll increase ATR and heals. Just take Brilliant Mind at creation and top out at 130 int/175 con. Any leftover points go into strength.

Sentinel's charge is more than worth 1 point now with the snare break. You can close the distance and catch even max-running scouts by stacking sprints and properly snaring/stunning. HG is always going to be a bit better because of the racial rage (and those free 10 points in GHM also help for getting the extra stun and PB), but Dwarves do really well. Colest is saying to focus it based on what you're going to be fighting, but really you can easily make a sent that works at all three levels of combat (solo, small-scale, and large-scale) by taking my advice. Don't forget to get the extra +3 passive on the shield (I haven't seen the numbers, but the Vorg shield might be worth considering).
Thorasta
Snobo
Snobo

Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:33 pm

Thank you Deathmarch and Colest
It looks like between the two of you, it is obvious I need to gravitate more towards weapons, or more towards spells - and not hover in between the two.

Deathmarch - you saw my intent - I would love a sent that works at all three levels of combat.

DWOB - doesn't a high defense trump DWOB (meaning, can't you protect yourself from it if your defense is significantly higher than your atr?)?

Con jewels vs. others - at least this I can switch out different sets of stuff and play around without rerolling/training.
Deathmarch
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:46 pm

Int/Abj jewels are actually the most flexible, because they provide extra DPS, which is most useful for GvG, and extra heals and ATR, which are crucial solo.

I'm not saying to focus weapons, either--make no mistake, my recommendations are actually for a pure caster. Rather, in the solo game, most people don't expect you to be smart enough to use weapon powers as interrupts, so you can take advantage of that to overcome otherwise crippling limitations to, say, atr. In a fight against a vamp scout, I couldn't hit him for Skah! because he kept atr debuffing me, so I stunned him out of it as he was about to re-apply, and once the debuff wore off I 2-shotted him with my small bomb. And because you're faster than anything else, you can close the gap and get within melee range to use those powers, and actually want to because all your aoes are point-blank range.

And on the issue of DWOB: it scales horribly, and isn't worth the points except on a telebomber. I'd much rather have hammer mastery powers than a GMed big bomb.
BoneBender
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:37 am

I don't believe that sprints stack any longer.
Jim Reifinger wrote:If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, its all because your tactics suck.
Deathmarch
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:06 pm

BoneBender wrote:I don't believe that sprints stack any longer.
Sentinel's Charge stacks with Sprint. If this got nerfed in a patch you can bet your [fluffy bunnies] I'm going to start Skah! over it, because that's ridiculous. They have enough trouble solo with PBAoEs and a 10 second recast on the holy debuff.
Malchore
Snobo
Snobo

Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:59 am

I have been playing with this build.. focused on dual hammer though, interesting and fun take

Does ANYONE know where a Master or Grand Master Sentinel Trainer is on this map? I cannot find one for the life of me.

Return to “Sentinel, Scourge of Chaos”