Melee sent

Thoron
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Melee sent

Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:34 pm

I like sents but I always made them as casters. What race should I go with for a melee sent? HG Cent or Dwarf? Oh and should I use two hammers or the 2H hammer?
~Retribution~
chimpy
SBE Team
SBE Team

Re: Melee sent

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:15 pm

I'll post the build I'm working with in the AM, I went Centaur - Really like it
Deathmarch
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:44 pm

HG or Dwarf.
Thoron
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:49 pm

How about weapom choice? I wanna use the two handed hammer but idk if using two one handers will put out more dmg..or are they about the same? Using two weapons would give me an atr boost right? Might need the extra atr since hammers don't get a def cut and you can't rely on stance removal if you are fighting someone halfway decent =P
~Retribution~
BazookaTooth
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:24 pm

A 2H HG will wield you the most damage. Just build it like you would a warrior except GM the Strength/stam buff and dangriels might. Any extra points in the debuffs. You can do it with dual hammers but you won't get the same damage but gain the atr. HG also get athletics so your stam as a melee will be better.
Khal
Snow Terror
Snow Terror

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:57 pm

BazookaTooth wrote:A 2H HG will wield you the most damage. Just build it like you would a warrior except GM the Strength/stam buff and dangriels might. Any extra points in the debuffs. You can do it with dual hammers but you won't get the same damage but gain the atr. HG also get athletics so your stam as a melee will be better.

No AoE snare????
Undeadkiller wrote:Everyone is entitled to thier own opinions and shouldn't be told what they can or cannot think and or can or cannot say. It goes against the Human Rights Act.
Rewen wrote:Art thou enraged?
Thoron
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:41 pm

I may have never made a melee sent but no way I'm not training the snare.. I may sacrifice some points in toughness and athletics to train some of the debuffs. Not sure which ones though.. dex/str and def/atr? Any suggestions anyone?
~Retribution~
Equastro
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:02 am

At least 10 points in toughness and athletics for the double rewards.
A very good alternative to putting 40 trains in Litany of Hedrusiel is to put that to 1 train and train Ur Rune from Runecaster to 20.
This would give you 19 free trains, still have 5% stam regen from LoH (GM is only 15% stam regen neway) and have a 25 STR buff compared to a 30 STR buff GM LoH would give you.

Furthermore HG is more suited to go ambidex with than dwarf (HG has higher base dex).
Even if you go with a 2H weapon, I'd still prefer the HG (athletics & +10 great hammer mastery & better base stats vs. dwarf hones / discs).

If you just wanna bash warriors and barbs and other low-def melee, don't bother with ambidex. Just go 2H hammer.
If you want to go up against high defense chars, there are a few options, though non are truely great because sentinels have always had some issues going up against defensive chars.

You could go dual faith hammers (train abjuration for higher atr) and try to rely on the stance removal weapon power (but 30 sec recast timer is meh). You do get GM weapon powers here though. No other really useful weapon powers here though (overload on stun/powerblock weapon powers).
You could also go dual 1h axes for the defcut weapon power (rank 20 weapon powers though) and save trains on abjuration and train i.e. the def/atr cut to GM or the dex cut to GM.

The def/atr cut will yield -300 def/atr and this will almost always result in a higher def cut than the -50dex/str from the other debuff (but the latter will nerf their damage a bit too).

Furthermore ofcourse GM Dangiriel's Might and the snare/mana drain.
The movement speed buff & snare dispel has always been dodgy, I don't know how it's functioning now, but if it really breaks snares you might consider GMing it. (lvl 1 never broke a higher level snare).
I never bothered with it on any sent though.

Discs I'd take:
Bounty Hunter / Huntsman
Rune Caster (STR buff & perhaps the heal)
Knight (1 train the SPI buff is +10 spi - only good in combination if you're gonna train and spam the RC heal)

Discs to consider:
Commander (dispel stun in combination with your racial HG stun immunity)
Undead Hunter (dispel disease) (you won't have enough trains for JM proc & GM holy debuff - so just 1 point both, JM the proc or don't bother at all <- I'd do the last)

Trivia:
The sentinel debuffs can be cast whilst running. So already start casting when you are running toward your opponent, saves time!
Telemakus
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:12 pm

I've made a lot of melee sents. Used to be a specialty of mine really.

If you want a strictly melee sentinel, I strongly recommend hammer and shield, high str or balanced depending on race. You have access to both GH and Hammer Mastery powers with sentinel hammers, spamming them is a huge problem though for stam if you aren't careful. Having a shield ups your survivability by quite a bit, and you don't lose that much damage at all. Fun toon to play, but getting rooted will make you sad.
You can run, but you'll die tired.
Telemakus
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:12 pm

I've made a lot of melee sents. Used to be a specialty of mine really.

If you want a strictly melee sentinel, I strongly recommend hammer and shield, high str or balanced depending on race. You have access to both GH and Hammer Mastery powers with sentinel hammers, spamming them is a huge problem though for stam if you aren't careful. Having a shield ups your survivability by quite a bit, and you don't lose that much damage at all. Fun toon to play, but getting rooted will make you sad.
Thoron
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:24 pm

Thanks for the input, I like sents enought to put up with roots every now and again :evil:
~Retribution~
Telemakus
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:15 am

Thoron wrote:Thanks for the input, I like sents enought to put up with roots every now and again :evil:
Then you are my man. If you go purebreed melee you should have enough trains for snare, sentinels charge, dmg buff, str buff, and one AoE debuff. If you use a bot, then of course you can get a bit more. If you are going to go dwarf and use FM, then you will have less.

Make a dwarf sentinel bot to forge/str buff you and you can have 2 debuffs instead of 1 with the trains you save :D. I recommend the def/atr debuff, and the int/spi.

With hammer and shield FMed and around 150 str, you're looking at 600ish top end dammage and 100ish min. Also, you want either 60 or 70 GH for extra powerblock(60) and stun(70). Drop one point into hammer mastery for the dmg debuff.
Thoron
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:22 pm

Ha maybe I will make a dwarf FM bot and dualbox him with a HG
melee sent :P. Honestly I want to make a sent of every race, lol is that odd?
~Retribution~
BazookaTooth
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:51 pm

Thoron wrote:Ha maybe I will make a dwarf FM bot and dualbox him with a HG
melee sent :P. Honestly I want to make a sent of every race, lol is that odd?
All the races excell with certain builds.

Kiting group favours cent and aelf.

High def bombers were always human,elf or dwarf. But with the aelf snare boost and half giants rage they have also become top tier bombers. With all the ways to def cut in gvg, half giants have become probably the best bombing race even if they dont get the same int as other races. High hp and and a stun immune rage matter more on a high priority target. The big bomber is still the elf.

Realistically though you are at a disadvantage on a pure melee build if you don't choose a race with atheltics not to mention the already favourable stats on dwarf and hg for a melee toon.
Substancekill
Snobo
Snobo

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:11 pm

I haven't played in years but I had a decent HG Melee sent build. I think I still have the build stats somewhere.

Race: Half Giant
at character creation as always set all stats to their minimum

Character Creation Runes:
Healthy as an Ox
Wizards Apprentice

Disciplines:
Huntsman
Undead Hunter

Stat Runes:
Amazing Intelligence

Stats at level 75:
Strength: 140
Dexterity: 35
Con: 130
Intelligence: 109 (Without amazing intelligence youre capped at 95. you shouldn't need anymore than this)
Spirit: 20

Skill trains: 588
by level 75 you should have these stats
Hammer: 118 trains to 156%
Great Hammer Mastery: 49 trains to 92%
Heavy Armor: 111 trains to 149%
Abjuration: 119 trains (capped) to 136%
Toughness: 70 trains to 112%

Powers and Abilities:
Pious Word of Binding - Train to max
Exalted Word of Binding - Train to max
Dangriels Might - Train to max
Consecrate weapon (Undead Hunter) 1

Gear:
Righteous Hammer (I think I had one with an Unholy proc. can't remember lol)
Sentinel Armor (full set, I usually used stuff with damage resistance buffs but you can use whatever you feel is best)
but yeah that was my melee sentinel. or at least to the best of my memory haha

Return to “Sentinel, Scourge of Chaos”