What's the hands-down best thief temp for stealing & pvp?

RisingForce
Snobo
Snobo

What's the hands-down best thief temp for stealing & pvp?

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:44 pm

I've made a couple thieves, just messing around while getting used to the game a bit and would love to have a serious build to mess around with. I've searched in the forums here and am a bit confused because of the variety of opinions and preferences that skew what I read, at least in my mind. So, I'm looking for THE awesome thief template. Or, if there really isn't just one, I'm open to what you suggest, how it works and why. I look forward to seeing what is shared.
cashmoneyflow
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Re: What's the hands-down best thief temp for stealing & pvp

Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:06 am

RisingForce wrote:I've made a couple thieves, just messing around while getting used to the game a bit and would love to have a serious build to mess around with. I've searched in the forums here and am a bit confused because of the variety of opinions and preferences that skew what I read, at least in my mind. So, I'm looking for THE awesome thief template. Or, if there really isn't just one, I'm open to what you suggest, how it works and why. I look forward to seeing what is shared.
neph con int ua proccing thief.
"Heyzeuss"I love playing under CN tags, no drama or at least none that I can understand. Makes playing the game much more enjoyable.
deja
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:30 am

Probably should start with something basic like an aracoix dagger thief:

Race: Aracoix
Base Class: Rogue
Profession: Thief
Starting Runes: Lucky, Fleet of Foot, Tough as Nails
In-game Runes: Dexterity of the Gods, Amazing Constitution
Disciplines: Skydancer, Bounty Hunter, Gladiator

Final Attributes:
Strength - 45 (base)
Dexterity - 160 (+40 in-game)
Constitution - 120 (+15 in-game)
Intelligence - 62
Spirit - 15

Skills:
Light Armor (90)
Dagger (90)
Dagger Mastery (enough to get to 95%)
Dodge (90)
Running (50+)

Powers:
Crippling Blow (20)
Backstab (40)
Coughing Gas (20 or 40)
Peek (20)
Steal (20)

Sky Dancer:
Will of the Skydancer (20)
Talon Dance (20)
Dance of the Updrafts (1)

This is just something quick I threw together, I don't have one rolled to post percentages. Numbers in parenthesis are trains (./printskills to check trains).

I personally wouldn't go with Peek or Steal on a test phase. There is really nothing of value to you to bother with stealing. Maybe on live it would be a bit more rewarding.

I like to have a lot of running on my thieves and scouts so I usually drop quite a bit into it, this is just personal preference though. Coughing Gas is a great skill for solo play and can be effective at 20 trains or 40 trains, your preference again. You could also train the Detect Hidden skill from Bounty Hunter to see through mage-based stealth. You could also get 5 points into Traveler if you need to.

This build is nothing amazing or new, but it's a decent enough starting point.
I don't care if anyone likes what I have to say at all as I am entitled to my opinions and am a very seasoned sb veteran you should take my words into high consideration if you are smart and care about this game and the community that plays here.
Splifflord
Snobo
Snobo

Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:17 am

Elf with 190 dex, 120 int and 47 con. Lit Reflex, Mil Train, Lucky, FoF and 40 dex ingame. BH, BW, Glad and UH. 90 trains in LA, dodge, Dagger and its mastery the rest is up to you. Wear 24 con rings and a 12 con 6 all neck. With your stats you can go flat dmg daggers or MoProc and output sweet dmges either way.
Noobs
Snobo
Snobo

Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:20 am

Splifflord wrote:Elf with 190 dex, 120 int and 47 con. Lit Reflex, Mil Train, Lucky, FoF and 40 dex ingame. BH, BW, Glad and UH. 90 trains in LA, dodge, Dagger and its mastery the rest is up to you. Wear 24 con rings and a 12 con 6 all neck. With your stats you can go flat dmg daggers or MoProc and output sweet dmges either way.
why daggers over BW swords?

Edit: I mean I can see with with the level 40 over level 30 powers, but wouldn't the BW swords do more dps?
longblade
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:01 am

Noobs wrote:
Splifflord wrote:Elf with 190 dex, 120 int and 47 con. Lit Reflex, Mil Train, Lucky, FoF and 40 dex ingame. BH, BW, Glad and UH. 90 trains in LA, dodge, Dagger and its mastery the rest is up to you. Wear 24 con rings and a 12 con 6 all neck. With your stats you can go flat dmg daggers or MoProc and output sweet dmges either way.
why daggers over BW swords?

Edit: I mean I can see with with the level 40 over level 30 powers, but wouldn't the BW swords do more dps?
The morloch prefix has a bigger impact on faster swinging weapons, and procs go off more with the faster swing of daggers. On a proccing thief, dps would be daggs. I'm not sure if BW or daggs does more when it comes to straight melee damage.
Nana
Snobo
Snobo

Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:09 am

Physical daggers just edge out BW swords when expose is factored in. However, daggers also have 2 gm atr cuts for 100% uptime (with careful usage), compared to BW's single 15 second level 30 one.
8Shade
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:26 am

Nana wrote:Physical daggers just edge out BW swords when expose is factored in. However, daggers also have 2 gm atr cuts for 100% uptime (with careful usage), compared to BW's single 15 second level 30 one.
not anymore... 15s is now 10s if i remember rif patches correctly. So no 100% uptime.
Noobs
Snobo
Snobo

Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:58 pm

Nana wrote:Physical daggers just edge out BW swords when expose is factored in. However, daggers also have 2 gm atr cuts for 100% uptime (with careful usage), compared to BW's single 15 second level 30 one.

What about resists though? I feel like most people tend to lean toward piercing resists, especially on solo toons.
Badmoon
Snow Terror
Snow Terror

Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:37 am

Noobs wrote:

What about resists though? I feel like most people tend to lean toward piercing resists, especially on solo toons.
Its all preference really.

For example, on my thief I would go daggers. I wouldnt make a BW one.
Theres two ways you can go. You can either go straight damage and go MoR. Or you can go proccing and go PoV/PoT/PoO etc.
Now, the reason I go Peerless over Morlochs when Im proccing on a def build is because with Morlochs I wont hit the speed cap in def stance. Plus with attack delay weapon power debuffs from the enemy, its rare to hit the cap;. But, with Peerless, I am hitting the cap and that makes me swing more often, and if im proccing, more chances to proc.

What I cant decide on right now is with a vamp dagger thief, whether to go PoV and use a proc bot, or go MoR, and just go straight damage. Im leaning towards PoV with proc bot.
Black Crown IC

"Badmooning" - To go afk at a time of importance due to a Skah! wife or cranky children.

Return to “Thief, Master Burglar”