Bots in the Next Phase

Starfish
SBE Team
SBE Team

Bots in the Next Phase

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:03 am

Bots: We're coming for you!

Bots will be dealt one swift, decisive blow in the next balance patch. Ever dream of a Shadowbane that has no encouragement whatsoever for using bots? That's the Shadowbane we're going to try to give you in the next balance patch. Everything from Void, Resistance Buffs, Damage Absorbers, Procs, Bashers, Siege Disciplines.. etc. All of these powers and mechanics will fall back into the hands of active players and reward active play. No more will you have your group hard countered just because they logged on a Necro bot before they engaged. No more will you feel the need to box Siege characters at banes, or many dozens of bashers. Let's get stuck into the details!

Resistance Buffs

• All Single Target Resistance Buffs are now 2s cast-time down from 3 or 4. They are now 60s duration down from 900 and have their own unique stack category.
  • All Group Resistance Buffs are 1s cast down from 3, 4 or 5. They are now 300s duration down from 900+ and have their own unique stack category.
  • This means that Single Target Resist Buffs may stack with Group Resist Buffs. These Group Resist Buffs & Single Target Resist Buffs will stack with Bard Resistance Chants. No more redundancy.
  • Single Target Resistance Buffs cap at GM and +50 resist. (Combat Oriented, High Impact, Low Duration, High Skill Cap)
  • Group Resistance Buffs cap at 1 Point and +25 resist. (Pre-Combat Preparation, Lower Impact, Higher Duration, Low-Mid Skill Cap)
So now, your bard can continue to be useful even if you bring another resistance oriented character. Druids, Channelers, Resistance-Disciplines and other resistance-based supporters will see more play because their tools are no longer redundant. It might be useful to have a more flexible support base, and now the durations and skill points sinks are so low on resistance buffs that bots are not feasible nor required. Rewarding those with quick reaction times, good knowledge of the battlefield and your enemies these new powers will empower you to skillfully cut your opponents' damage by up to half! The shorter cast times allow switching on the fly or catching burst spells to be a viable strategy. A whole new sub group of resist strategy is encouraged rather than the bot-based approach!

Proc Powers

• Procs will no longer have a cooldown.
  • Trading a Procced Weapon will disable any procs on the weapon.
This is a great middle ground that disables the use of botting the powers, but still encourages thievery! It removes the hassle with monitoring your proc's cooldown and allows dual weilders to get set up much easier.
Void, Group Void & Wards

• Group Void will now only require 1 point for its full effectiveness.
  • Wards, Void & Group Void duration will be reduced to 300s, greatly reducing the feasibility for the powers to be botted.
  • Cast Times lowered to 1s make set up hassle-free.
Again these powers will become less bot friendly and more available for your combat characters. They'll become more usable, attainable and discourage the need to dual box.

Siege Powers

• Every Siege Discipline will have a unique and useful combat-based power so you do not feel like they are a waste of a slot.
  • All Sieging Powers will cap at 1 Train but retain their old 20 point effectiveness at this new 1 point maximum. This means investing in these powers no longer detracts from your character!
  • Sanctifier Heal & Battle Magus Burn are now % Based. They no longer scale off of int, power damage, spirit, sorcery nor restoration. Just % based, so you no longer need a character specifically designed to burn or heal!
Siege Bots will be slewn in one swift strike. No more will those disciplines be bot disciplines, no more will you need to prepare "siege bots" and no more will you need to gear out specific high int/spi burners and healers. Sieging Power is back in the hands of active players.

Sieging, Bashing & Water Buckets

• Water Buckets will now be a % Based HoT, reducing the need for multiple botters and completely eliminating any macro program use of the mechanic. They'll no longer scale on int, spirit or power damage so anyone could use them.
  • We will put a cap on the number of players that can bash a single building at once. This will reduce the need for many bots and help us stabilise & maintain a targetted length for Banes.
  • Total Number of Bulwarks Available reduced, but the damage of each individual Trebuchet will be increased to compensate. This will mean you no longer need to bot treb claimers since the cap will be lower, your active force will be able to maintain control of most (or all) trebuchet on the field.
This will reduce the power that "Zerg" nations hold in raw BASH-DMG per second and raw building HEAL per second. It also completely reduces the effectiveness of running tons of bots by making one player take over the role that dozens of bots could have previously filled, and bashers will be limited to a small amount to reduce the need to box many bashers alongside reducing how fast a "Zerg" nation can end a bane.

This part of the patch is all about our enhanced Quality of Life on the project. We want to make sure that playing the game is fun, enjoyable and all about the combat. Not monotonous, bot-ridden or annoying to interact with. This will be one of those things that will take a lot of fine tuning, but we're here and ready to work alongside you. We've heard everyone's pleas for reduced needs for bots, and we're now acting on that. You'll get a unique playing experience here as we further put more valuable on the player, and individual player skill rather than how many bots, buffs and macros you can set up. We're increasing the skill ceiling and letting each player get more bang for their buck out of playing one player; the need to bot simply won't be there as much at all!

I hope you enjoyed reading about these efforts and if you have any feedback, let us know. These are still in development and we'd love to fine tune them based on your feedback just as we have done ( and continue to do so) based on Community Roundtable Feedback.

Thanks for reading!
Malant
SBE Team
SBE Team

Re: Bots in the Next Phase

Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:35 am

Looking forward to the changes.

I would love to get back to a single box/player game. Playing closed beta last phase really made me enjoy this game. Getting bots back was fun for a bit, but now I would much rather just play a single box and have more tools to useful tools instead of gimping a character to give it support style abilities.
Bruskie
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:50 am

just an idea, but what about allowing us to take more then 4 discs?
Coolwatersx
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:44 pm

I love it. All of it.

Thank god somebody in charge isn't afraid to change stupid.

I'd do procs slightly differently. I'd reduce the entire process to 1 click with:

-Only castable in strife realm
-Auto unequip weapon with shortest remaining proc duration on beginning of cast
-Cast would be 8-10 second duration with the weapon in inventory for Thieves to get the goods
-Weapon is auto re-equipped after the 8-10 second cast

This would eliminate the PITA click-fest (slight hyperbole) of (1) unequip, (2) proc, (3) re-equip every 5-10 minutes. Not a game breaker, but far superior this way and forces caster to risk loss by only operating in a strife realm and a longer cast time with weapon in inventory.

This is likely able to be coded because wereforms already briefly do exactly this as I recall (unequip then re-equip weapon).
Coolwatersx
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:45 pm

Bruskie wrote:just an idea, but what about allowing us to take more then 4 discs?
It would need to have a heavy penalty somewhere. Like 25-50 stat point cost. I like the choices you have to make at 4 max disciplines personally.
meeper
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:20 pm

So,

Less trebs = all trebs likely to be commanded at all times = wall damage/second equivalent at all banes, regardless of coordination.
Bucket changed to HoT = all banestones healed at same rate = stone going up at constant rate at all banes, regardless of coordination.
Limited bashers per structure = walls taking same damage in all banes = wall damage/second equivalent at all banes, regardless of coordination.

The few logistic requirements sieges had are basically removed, and a few competent players can just bot everything and have their crappy players not worry about anything. These changes just seem to be focused on "10v10 bane" being fun, standardized, and making sure everything is fair. The main issue with things like sader bots at banes is summons - not trading stupid procs. I also don't see these changes making it any easier to take a city from CN, since it sounds like that you can just rush the stone with meat and no one will be able to heal it up quickly (even if there are 200 NA players attempting to bucket it).

Then there's all the crap wowification stuff about homogenizing everything. Oh no, you might have to build a character specifically designed to excel in banes? Na, let's make all siege stuff 1 train, and the disc's have direct combat utility as well! Cause this game has so much to do besides rolling a bunch of characters for different situations, right?

Needs more advocates imo. Someone get side effect.
Starfish
SBE Team
SBE Team

Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:30 pm

Then there's all the crap wowification stuff about homogenizing everything. Oh no, you might have to build a character specifically designed to excel in banes? Na, let's make all siege stuff 1 train, and the disc's have direct combat utility as well! Cause this game has so much to do besides rolling a bunch of characters for different situations, right?
There's not homogenization here, just making some mechanics more interactive rather than bot-macro'd. There was no variance because the roles were being outsourced to bots, which is many, many times worse than allowing active combat characters to get involved with siege. You act like Bots are this grand strategy that is hard to utilise, healthy for the game and fun. Let me know when you find the posts in the forums about how enjoyable it is to roll 100 naked siege bots for your nation, and how we should be preserving that.
These changes just seem to be focused on "10v10 bane" being fun,
Yes, we want banes to be more fun and accessable to smaller guilds. Is that a bad thing? No, of course it's not. We're not taking anything away, we're adding and broadening the options for more guilds, sparking more conflict and allowing smaller guilds to function in the game on a larger scale.
and making sure everything is fair.
Yes. Things will be more fair because we'll be able to keep better track of HPS numbers, allowing us to make banes much more enjoyable/about combat rather than clunky dual, triple, quad or more boxing and various clunky siege mechanics. Yes it means smaller forces will be able to compete with larger forces in terms of sieging, but they'll still have innate disadvantages both in sieging and in combat. So if your complaint is that we're trying to make smaller forces have more content available to them, be able to better deal with large numbers and allow banes with huge zergs to last a little longer for more chances of a comeback.. then yeah, that's what we're trying to do. If you think they're bad things, that's fine.

If you prefer botting a million characters for banes, having hordes of bots & massive zergs take your Banestone down in 120 seconds and denying 10-19 person guilds from accessing content they'd love to get involved in, I'm sure you can find that elsewhere. We're trying to address those problems.
Bruskie
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:47 pm

Starfish wrote:
There's not homogenization here, but yes, you can continue trumpeting negativity. There was no variance because the roles were being outsourced to bots, which is many, many times worse than allowing active combat characters to get involved with siege. You act like Bots are this grand strategy that is hard to utilise, healthy for the game and fun. Let me know when you find the posts in the forums about how enjoyable it is to roll 100 naked siege bots for your nation, and how we should be preserving that.
Yes, we want banes to be more fun and accessable to smaller guilds. Is that a bad thing? No, of course it's not. We're not taking anything away, we're adding and broadening the options for more guilds, sparking more conflict and allowing smaller guilds to function in the game on a larger scale.
Yes. Things will be more fair because we'll be able to keep better track of HPS numbers, allowing us to make banes much more enjoyable/about combat rather than clunky dual, triple, quad or more boxing and various clunky siege mechanics. Yes it means smaller forces will be able to compete with larger forces in terms of sieging, but they'll still have innate disadvantages both in sieging and in combat. So if your complaint is that we're trying to make smaller forces have more content available to them, be able to better deal with large numbers and allow banes with huge zergs to last a little longer for more chances of a comeback.. then yeah, that's what we're trying to do. If you think they're bad things, that's fine.

If you prefer botting a million characters for banes, having hordes of bots & massive zergs take your Banestone down in 120 seconds and denying 10-19 person guilds from accessing content they'd love to get involved in, I'm sure you can find that elsewhere. We're trying to address those problems.
i dont think bashbots were that bad, there easy to make and manage. summon bots are anoying.

having every one i run with drag a priest is worse then 100 bash bots, thats kake. i'd rather do that over heal/sumon bots.

on the procs i dont follow what you mean, do you mean now all i gotta do is hone each of my weps and its good to go till i trade it away? so that proc buff is self only?
Blyster
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:40 pm

Bruskie wrote:
Starfish wrote:
There's not homogenization here, but yes, you can continue trumpeting negativity. There was no variance because the roles were being outsourced to bots, which is many, many times worse than allowing active combat characters to get involved with siege. You act like Bots are this grand strategy that is hard to utilise, healthy for the game and fun. Let me know when you find the posts in the forums about how enjoyable it is to roll 100 naked siege bots for your nation, and how we should be preserving that.

i dont think bashbots were that bad, there easy to make and manage. summon bots are anoying.

having every one i run with drag a priest is worse then 100 bash bots, thats kake. i'd rather do that over heal/sumon bots.

on the procs i dont follow what you mean, do you mean now all i gotta do is hone each of my weps and its good to go till i trade it away? so that proc buff is self only?
Bashbots not so bad?? WTF?

Having banes (or anything for that matter) effected by whomever can login the most boxes is and has always been one of the Skah! flaws of this game.

And procs will still have the same durations and cast times, they just won't have cooldowns on the recast anymore, and if you trade them they lose their proc, so no more hone/proc bots will be possible.
shadowboxer
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:50 pm

So..

You want to punish the people that put in the 'effort' to make a bot to cater to those to lazy to do so.

I'm willing to bet the same people that wanted this change are the same ones sitting in a safezone waiting for rune notifications.
shadowboxer
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:57 pm

Yes. Things will be more fair [/quote]

Buddy - this is shadowbane... If you want fair go to Rift or WoW where everything is always fair and equal.
Bruskie
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:07 pm

shadowboxer wrote:
Yes. Things will be more fair

Buddy - this is shadowbane... If you want fair go to Rift or WoW where everything is always fair and equal.[/quote]

just get rid of conc pots. your flurting around the edges with it. just do it.

no more concs.!
Blyster
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:37 pm

shadowboxer wrote:So..

You want to punish the people that put in the 'effort' to make a bot to cater to those to lazy to do so.

I'm willing to bet the same people that wanted this change are the same ones sitting in a safezone waiting for rune notifications.
It isn't about punishing anyone. It's about reducing redundancy and increasing skill by allowing people to actively do what bots use to do with a macro or a single key.

Zergs are also a huge problem. Winning or losing fights/banes based on how expensive a rig you can afford and how many multiple logins your guild's computers can handle over other guild's has nothing to do with "effort" or skill.

Everyone can still multibox whatever they like, but now there's just no incentive do go overboard with it and it's just not near as big an advantage to zerg with bots.

It's amazing anyone thinks that's a bad thing.
Coolwatersx
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:51 pm

Blyster wrote: Bashbots not so bad?? WTF?

Having banes (or anything for that matter) effected by whomever can login the most boxes is and has always been one of the Skah! flaws of this game.
Have to agree with Blyster. Remove as many incentives as possible to log in more than one toon. Play the game active and only active IMO.
Coolwatersx
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:58 pm

That is the most ridiculous ... nay retarded thing I have read on these forums. And this is Shadowbane.

Jesus. I just can't muster a response.

However I do plan to explain to the officers down at the precinct that we need to decriminalize murder so that we stop catering to those citizens too lazy to engage in murderous activity and stop punishing those who put in the effort to carry a good murder out.
Ciliano
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:50 pm

I see nothing in here about priest buff or bard int/spr buff bots. Either remove those buffs completely along with conc pots or make conc pots last longer (like forever). It is an incredibly stupid mechanic to require it at all times in order to play the game at all.

The rest of this is great though.
Ajsme
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:34 pm

I am a big boxer for banes especially (going upwards of 10 logged in boxes most of the time.. occasionally going psycho and going over 30) and I agree with the concept behind these changes. The game should be more than how many boxes can be logged in, how many buff bots you have made, etc. These roles should be taken by active players.
Coolwatersx
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:08 pm

Coolwatersx wrote:
Blyster wrote: Bashbots not so bad?? WTF?

Have to agree with Blyster. Remove as many incentives as possible to log in more than one toon. Play the game active and only active IMO.
Think of the bandwidth saved by these simple changes. Think of the ease of finding real, solid population over time when you have a far higher degree of confidence that the number of characters logged in far more closely approximates the number of persons playing your game.

I see zero bad and all good in this goal - the devil will be in the details.
shadowboxer
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:47 pm

Blyster wrote:

It isn't about punishing anyone. It's about reducing redundancy and increasing skill by allowing people to actively do what bots use to do with a macro or a single key.

Zergs are also a huge problem. Winning or losing fights/banes based on how expensive a rig you can afford and how many multiple logins your guild's computers can handle over other guild's has nothing to do with "effort" or skill.

Everyone can still multibox whatever they like, but now there's just no incentive do go overboard with it and it's just not near as big an advantage to zerg with bots.

It's amazing anyone thinks that's a bad thing.

So, let me get this straight. If my friend is playing an active sader, he can no longer proc someones weapon because trading it will remove it?

He is ACTIVELY playing. How is that rewarding active game play as patch notes states? Doesn't seem like that does to me. How does this change - a change people generally do in solo play have anything to do with zergs? :) It doesn't.

Zergs have been around forever. Changes like this doesn't make them any less effective. How exactly does this stop CN from anything?

Like the "only x people can hit a bane stone" change - big deal. If they still have 150 players there logged on it solves nothing. So the banestone goes down 5 minutes later....

It's not about zerging. It's clearly about closing the gap between bad and good players.
Coolwatersx
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:04 pm

shadowboxer wrote: So, let me get this straight. If my friend is playing an active sader, he can no longer proc someones weapon because trading it will remove it?

He is ACTIVELY playing.
Good point. Everyone rolls a sader and drops 40 trains in consecrate weapon ... just in case some other guy wants to use it.

If a Sader is applying a proc to anyone elses weapon, then he is almost certainly a Bot. This is obvious because:

1) Saders who are proc builds will be using those procs themselves, thank ya very much.
2) Saders who are not proc builds will not be training Consecrate Weapon anyway.

Short bus version: I don't believe you when you imply that the scenario you describe is even realistic, much less common.
shadowboxer
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:01 pm

Coolwatersx wrote:
shadowboxer wrote: So, let me get this straight. If my friend is playing an active sader, he can no longer proc someones weapon because trading it will remove it?

He is ACTIVELY playing.
Good point. Everyone rolls a sader and drops 40 trains in consecrate weapon ... just in case some other guy wants to use it.

If a Sader is applying a proc to anyone elses weapon, then he is almost certainly a Bot. This is obvious because:

1) Saders who are proc builds will be using those procs themselves, thank ya very much.
2) Saders who are not proc builds will not be training Consecrate Weapon anyway.

Short bus version: I don't believe you when you imply that the scenario you describe is even realistic, much less common.

I've gotten UH procs or someone before - sader was just a scenario. Yes it does happen.

So, you dodged how this helps against zergs by the way, since that's why they said the change is needed.
Blyster
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:06 pm

shadowboxer wrote:
Coolwatersx wrote:

He is ACTIVELY playing.

I've gotten UH procs or someone before - sader was just a scenario. Yes it does happen.

So, you dodged how this helps against zergs by the way, since that's why they said the change is needed.
Yeah, the reason they're making it so you can't trade proc'd/hone'd items is to prevent zergs. Not.

Are you retarded?
shadowboxer
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:45 pm

Blyster wrote:
shadowboxer wrote:
Coolwatersx wrote: Good point. Everyone rolls a sader and drops 40 trains in consecrate weapon ... just in case some other guy wants to use it.

Yeah, the reason they're making it so you can't trade proc'd/hone'd items is to prevent zergs. Not.

Are you retarded?

The retarded one believes decreasing duration of buffs will knock off macros, when in fact it will INCREASE them. People will just drag around a necro bot on macro. Sounds to me like the propose change will increase the number of macro bots, not sure how people fail to see that either. Changes are sounding like theory bane tbh...

So again, the story here isn't adding up..
8Shade
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:34 am

What could in my eyes be a problem is that ppl will now multibox real bane toons instead of siege bots. Ppl will multibox if it gives them an edge. Having one active group and one inactive bane group ready right when the first one fails could be the next thing we will see with these changes. I don't like to multibox, so for me, this is a good change, but I am still concerned how this could turn out.
Bruskie
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:49 am

I can get on board with most of these changes, the only one I think that’s Skah! up is Forge master. that one doesn’t need to be messed with, there are a lot of people who active Dorfs and hone peoples weps for them it is nice. Making Forge master self only buffs up the dorfs, not sure if anyone thought of that yet.

I think we can take a step further and just take out conc pots and buffs out of the game. rework it buff stripers into debuffers and or manna sappers or stam sappers. or not force us to have buffs and make buffs short duration and not dependable.

ever one depends on conc buffs and or priest bots. if it is too much to work out then just make conc pots permeant till death.
Colest
SBE Team
SBE Team

Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:06 am

shadowboxer wrote:

Did you even read the patch notes? The reason procs were changed were to reduce botting. The only thing they said helps zerging is the bash not cap. I'm sorry you get your jollies out of rolling bots.
shadowboxer
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:33 am

Colest wrote:
shadowboxer wrote:

Did you even read the patch notes? The reason procs were changed were to reduce botting. The only thing they said helps zerging is the bash not cap. I'm sorry you get your jollies out of rolling bots.

How so, If I can't get a UH proc from a friend, how does that reduce bots? He is actively playing. Yes, I know I'm not the only one that has had someone proc a weapon with there UH rune. Seems like a cry for "more fairness" because you don't have access to the same thing.

Is Shadowbane still "Play to crush" ?
Colest
SBE Team
SBE Team

Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:11 pm

shadowboxer wrote:
Colest wrote:
shadowboxer wrote:

How so, If I can't get a UH proc from a friend, how does that reduce bots? He is actively playing. Yes, I know I'm not the only one that has had someone proc a weapon with there UH rune. Seems like a cry for "more fairness" because you don't have access to the same thing.

Don't have access to what exactly? A friend to proc a weapon? Are you seriously trying to argue that procs are being changed because no one on the team has a friend to peoc their weapon for them? Surely it has nothing to do with restricting classes to their intended access to their respective class and disc powers. Are you going to argue to remove concs because you had a priest friend who would buff your con for you?

Get a clue and don't Skah! on your alt account.
Coolwatersx
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:24 pm

8Shade wrote:What could in my eyes be a problem is that ppl will now multibox real bane toons instead of siege bots. Ppl will multibox if it gives them an edge. Having one active group and one inactive bane group ready right when the first one fails could be the next thing we will see with these changes. I don't like to multibox, so for me, this is a good change, but I am still concerned how this could turn out.
Unless they are keycloning the effectiveness of actively playing 2 characters, much less 3 or 4, has a rapidly diminishing return.

And they could always do that.

I'd rather have 10 active guys, playing one toon and paying attention than 10 active guys flipping back and forth between characters. Again, unless they are keycloning. I wish there were a way to enforce 1 account in the open gaming environment, but until there is removing as many motivations to use bots as we can is a good goal.
Coolwatersx
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:27 pm

shadowboxer wrote:
Colest wrote:
shadowboxer wrote:

It's almost like you're trying to be thick.

Most players do not train a skill just in case a buddy wants a proc. Your friend does. Grats, he has a Skah! build.

Most (all in practicallity) toons that train a proc and do not apply it to their own weapon are bots.

This change makes those bots less valuable.

Period.

Return to “Development Diary”