Patch 2.0 Shroud of Ardan - Discussion

Wolfman1
Snobo
Snobo

Re: Patch 2.0 Shroud of Ardan - Discussion

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:18 am

Happy to see the Emu back in business again. From what I read about what u guys are reverting and the new stuff being implemented it looks good so far. I sure will be back to play.

I especially enjoyed the noobie island changes you made, it became a mini game inside the game for me, and glad you keep it that way.

Also, thumbs up for locking down the posts in the announcement forums, if it is one thing I find irritating is to have to check a new post on page 248 just because someone said "omg." Let the devs and administrators comment there only, forever :)
Gerardan
Snobo
Snobo

Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:03 am

Very excited to see activity here again! The changes seem very cool and I'm looking forward to playing again. Thanks guys for your hard work!
gradeyshane
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:58 am

Sounds good, looking forward to giving it some run.
Drenath
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:35 pm

Starfish wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:06 pm
Drenath wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:50 pm
Starfish wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:31 am

Hi Sank! Long time no see!

I think you will be much more able to solo on creative characters now. Rogue stealth caps at JM - which means Bounty Hunter (and now Black Mask as well, as it has been given Detect Hidden) eyes will be able to see the rogues, with some exception (rogues in saboteur - but that's a long cooldown!). Mages can use battlemagus' Scry to find enemies and reveal a close (60 units) stealther.

Making the stealth/smallscale metagame not just about bird scouts and thieves was one of the things we absolutely wanted to keep over, so you should find that the smallscale meta is much more open in Shroud of Ardan than in 24.3. :)
So instead of finding any other means to buff up the lagging classes in solo pvp you instead chose to just give away the scout's utility to every other rogue and a good chunk of fighters? Smooth. Hope scouts enjoy being def-cut bots again.

Hiya Drenath,

It's good to see you around again. Hope you are well.

We just believed there wasn't a viable alternative to being able to engage other rogue users - it pushed most people into playing scouts. We didn't give their capability to everyone - as Scouts still have access to GM stealth (on a cooldown) and so do rogues with Saboteur applied. In addition, as Rewen said, JM Detect Hidden has a length cooldown (180s), cast time and mana cost (125) with a very low duration (20s).

Scouts on the other hand, got increased tools to help them actually be scouts. Their track cast time is 3s instead of the normal 12. They have Pin Down, a single target bow-only root power that is very short but doesn't break on damage, and 'pinpoint', an ability that highlights the target with obvious vfx (good for targetting) and prevents them from stealthing. That's on top of their Camoflauge which is now GM stealth that they apply to themselves and up to 2 other allies.

Scouts will, as you say, no longer be the king of solo - but they will still be extremely valuable - both in smallscale and GvG. We saw this with our setup with Stalk (which allowed all rogues to see eachother for a brief period, on a long cooldown) and it worked quite well.

Hope that helps explain things a bit more :)

The only unpredictable part of this post is that you and ruin both used your main accounts instead of replying from your PR account. Quick question, is it just you and ruin that have access to AshtonKai or does everyone on staff have the keys? Enjoy being a snowflake, I only showed up here at all because I was erroneously lead to believe that all the RiF changes were being rolled back, if I'd known you were instead doubling down and Skah! even more Skah! up I wouldn't have wasted the time. Y'all really should have stuck to only implementing community-sourced ideas, those are the only successful changes you've ever made to this game.
Nope.
Starfish
SBE Team
SBE Team

Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:46 pm

Drenath wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:35 pm
Starfish wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:06 pm
Drenath wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:50 pm

So instead of finding any other means to buff up the lagging classes in solo pvp you instead chose to just give away the scout's utility to every other rogue and a good chunk of fighters? Smooth. Hope scouts enjoy being def-cut bots again.

Hiya Drenath,

It's good to see you around again. Hope you are well.

We just believed there wasn't a viable alternative to being able to engage other rogue users - it pushed most people into playing scouts. We didn't give their capability to everyone - as Scouts still have access to GM stealth (on a cooldown) and so do rogues with Saboteur applied. In addition, as Rewen said, JM Detect Hidden has a length cooldown (180s), cast time and mana cost (125) with a very low duration (20s).

Scouts on the other hand, got increased tools to help them actually be scouts. Their track cast time is 3s instead of the normal 12. They have Pin Down, a single target bow-only root power that is very short but doesn't break on damage, and 'pinpoint', an ability that highlights the target with obvious vfx (good for targetting) and prevents them from stealthing. That's on top of their Camoflauge which is now GM stealth that they apply to themselves and up to 2 other allies.

Scouts will, as you say, no longer be the king of solo - but they will still be extremely valuable - both in smallscale and GvG. We saw this with our setup with Stalk (which allowed all rogues to see eachother for a brief period, on a long cooldown) and it worked quite well.

Hope that helps explain things a bit more :)

The only unpredictable part of this post is that you and ruin both used your main accounts instead of replying from your PR account. Quick question, is it just you and ruin that have access to AshtonKai or does everyone on staff have the keys? Enjoy being a snowflake, I only showed up here at all because I was erroneously lead to believe that all the RiF changes were being rolled back, if I'd known you were instead doubling down and Skah! even more Skah! up I wouldn't have wasted the time. Y'all really should have stuck to only implementing community-sourced ideas, those are the only successful changes you've ever made to this game.
Sorry you feel that way. Most of our major RiF reworks have gone, as well as things we received negative feedback about - those that received favourable feedback from the community, and that were approved by the CRT and our team, stayed. For the record, the system I described to you has been on the server since september 2014 (and has received positive feedback). Thanks for stopping by in any case Drenath.
Eranthius
Snobo
Snobo

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:56 pm

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASS! #LetsDoThis
mcy
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:26 pm

If update through the launcher, will the previous settings, especially skin and translation be changed to default?
Rewen
SBE Team
SBE Team
Twitch: rewenx

Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:12 am

mcy wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:26 pm
If update through the launcher, will the previous settings, especially skin and translation be changed to default?
Nope! All your UI settings will remain as you left them.
xxxpaintball
Snobo
Snobo

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:59 pm

Is there a place with the total changes between live and this current patch? A lot of the "reverted" things I don't remember what they were before, Thanks!
flibberdee
Snobo
Snobo

Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:12 pm

Looking forward to playing again. I missed the last major change on this server and only caught it 4 months ago. The server was dead but there were several things I wanted to try out, outpost, but could not, no nation, no others.
Minty1
Snobo
Snobo

Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:51 pm

so are you going to make wizards stealth lvl 10 or will they get the max lvl 20 as a rouge if so seems a little unfair to rouges with no lvl 40 sneak?
Cryfowl
Snow Terror
Snow Terror

Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:08 pm

well I guess I had almost given up hope here. It's good to see this back up.
Candi still on the team ?
DEMOLITIONS EXPERT - LOOKING FOR GROUP - VERY GOOD WITH WALLS
Thenebrosity
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:45 pm

saw the email.. where's the loot?
Can't download.. :|

Please send out a email when it's actually available to download. Thx
Been bored lately.. might hop in from time to time..
chimpy
SBE Team
SBE Team

Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:51 am

Cryfowl wrote:
Candi is still on the team and helping out
Oldtimer
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:56 am

Any idea if CN IPs will be blocked? Thanks.
Rewen
SBE Team
SBE Team

Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:52 am

xxxpaintball wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:59 pm
Is there a place with the total changes between live and this current patch? A lot of the "reverted" things I don't remember what they were before, Thanks!
Yes, check this out. :)
Rewen
SBE Team
SBE Team

Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:00 am

Minty1 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:51 pm
so are you going to make wizards stealth lvl 10 or will they get the max lvl 20 as a rouge if so seems a little unfair to rouges with no lvl 40 sneak?
Sneak is less of a rogue vs scout dynamic now. All rogues can compete, but not necessarily as well. It's more about being smart with your spells.

We've put detect in the hands of all bounty hunters and black masks. This "JM detect" only lasts 20 seconds and has a 3-minute recycle timer, so you have to choose a wise moment to use it. Skilled stealthers will watch for the tell-tale "detect" visual and react accordingly.

There are ways to overcome this, however. If you apply saboteur, the "with catlike tread" power now goes up to GM and gives stealth alongside its untrackability. It lasts 2-minuteas and is on a 5-minute recycle timer. Like the other two disciplines, you need to choose a wise moment to cast the power.
Rewen
SBE Team
SBE Team

Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:02 am

Thenebrosity wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:45 pm
saw the email.. where's the loot?
Can't download.. :|

Please send out a email when it's actually available to download. Thx
Been bored lately.. might hop in from time to time..
We plan on announcing the wipe date soon. The launcher will be available to download well before then.

I plan on updating this wiki article as information develops. You can also just watch the announcements or join our discord!
Anklebiter
Snobo
Snobo

Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:12 am

Will 2nd box tune be able to summon at least --- I hope you will let them summon -- everyone needs a sumbot ;]
Rewen
SBE Team
SBE Team

Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:53 am

Anklebiter wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:12 am
Will 2nd box tune be able to summon at least --- I hope you will let them summon -- everyone needs a sumbot ;]
Unfortunately not. :(

You will need to rely on your guild mates to evac you, or go into battle knowing that you can't just disappear when things get hairy!
Colest
SBE Team
SBE Team

Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:40 am

Is the -20% snare from the previous patches on Hide (previously Sneak) still in place? Also this page doesn't mention the increased cast time for Hide for Rogues. Last iteration it was 3 seconds I believe and 2.0 is adjusting it to 4.
Starfish
SBE Team
SBE Team

Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:48 am

Updated patch notes to indicate the 20% snare on Hide. Good catch!
Candi
SBE Team
SBE Team

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:24 pm

Cryfowl wrote:
Yep, hi Cry! Hope things are well with you. Glad to see you back :).
Reaper989
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:15 am

A lot of interesting changes... some good some just odd. Granted "reverted" cloak of thorns, don't see what what changed prior. Raptor cloak seems like an interesting change... even if it was a huge gimmick ability which simply lacked any application besides a long cooldown flight that broke on attack/cast.

Then you take my % heals? Quite a low blow when I am gonna still be rocking leather, never did understood the logic behind the only healer-only class being in leather. The group friendly AoEs are nice tho, I'll give it that.
Vervandi
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Shroud of Ardan 2.0 Launch Patch Notes

Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:52 pm

Couple of things... "Experience" is spelled incorrectly on the landing page. The download link goes to a page saying there is no download, is this thing not launched yet? If so, it needs to be more obvious when it is going to launch and the client download should be posted ahead of time or at the same time. Finally, Ashton Kai is a real person that worked as an intern when Shadowbane was being developed. It might be more appropriate to use the name of a fictional character to be the "Royal Bard of King's Cross".
Rewen
SBE Team
SBE Team

Re: Shroud of Ardan 2.0 Launch Patch Notes

Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:20 pm

Vervandi wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:52 pm
Couple of things... "Experience" is spelled incorrectly on the landing page. The download link goes to a page saying there is no download, is this thing not launched yet? If so, it needs to be more obvious when it is going to launch and the client download should be posted ahead of time or at the same time. Finally, Ashton Kai is a real person that worked as an intern when Shadowbane was being developed. It might be more appropriate to use the name of a fictional character to be the "Royal Bard of King's Cross".
Moved your post to the discussion thread!

All good tips. Thanks!
Tahllol
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:59 pm

No idea why you bother, it will be like each previous attempt a failure. You refuse to control the zerg fest that is CN that all fight as one guild and you don't control the exploiting and duping that has happened each round. Well and the super majority of the people you put on the test and recommendation team last time were people that didn't like your version anyway.
Cryfowl
Snow Terror
Snow Terror

Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:31 pm

Tahllol wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:59 pm
No idea why you bother, it will be like each previous attempt a failure. You refuse to control the zerg fest that is CN that all fight as one guild and you don't control the exploiting and duping that has happened each round. Well and the super majority of the people you put on the test and recommendation team last time were people that didn't like your version anyway.
well you do have the other option of that other server where that one "NA" guild that supposedly runs the server has allied themselves with CN and CN still runs amok unchecked. Is that better than the unknown here? Will the CN hoard land here ? probably. the question is will NA fight them ? OR SUB TO THEM LIKE WM ? ? ?

And in all fairness this Emu has a good track record of policing duping all the time and exploits as well except when the whole team was MIA and the server was dead.
Candi wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:24 pm

Yep, hi Cry! Hope things are well with you. Glad to see you back :).
So very glad to see you still on board. You have always been the hardest working team member in the history of this project. ! :)

And what the hell is up with these avatars ? ? ? ? why am i a snow terror ? ? ? much rather be a bone drake or at the very least I deserve wyrven !!!! LMAO
If I have to write another comprehensive player guide to earn that i totally will lol.
DEMOLITIONS EXPERT - LOOKING FOR GROUP - VERY GOOD WITH WALLS
shadowboxer
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:00 am

Finally what I said all along is being done.. Nothing beat the last version of live, thank god your taking away the reveal from all stealthers ..
Express Tunnel Service - Vengeance/Carnage Server
QFT - Mourning Server
Vervandi
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:13 am

Are the race/class/profession combinations like live was at shutdown or have they changed?
“some days, some nights, some live, some die, in the way of the Jen'e'tai, some fight, some bleed, sun up to sun down, the sons of a battlecry ”

"Every day I worry all day, about what's waiting in the bushes of love."

Return to “General Discussion”